post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jan 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
300CD.. i like it, but...

hi folks.

i've had a 300CD for a few years now, single-tank conversion to wvo/biodiesel/diesel, 360k miles:

everything pretty much works - it should, as this is the stuff i've replaced over the past few years:

power steering pump
power steering oil pump
fuel lines, etc., to make it biodiesel safe
throttle assembly/lingages
valves and a couple major tune ups
bushings and steering bits 2x
replaced fuel tank (w 18+ gallon)
oil pan recently

and other stuff adding up to around $8K in repairs over the past few years.

the good: it's in really good shape - intact interior, uncracked dash, clean, a few minor dings here and there, but no rust and well maintained for a car of this year and mileage. it also performs really well as long as i tune it up every so often or drive it daily.

the bad - getting kind of tired, it is running at 360+ miles, the front end stuff tends to need refresh every year or two (could use it now) and it leaks a bit of oil when stopped, has a slow radiator leak, a few minor bits (OD stopped, cigar lighter out, few vacuum leaks, AC needs recharging, rear window motors are a bit tired, some particulate in the exhaust at night.. turbo lag is occasionally annoying, needs front shocks, tires, etc. (also not as clean as the picture above, which was about 5K miles ago, but that should mostly wash off)

so my conundrum.. i'd love to stay in the 123 world, but would like to get two things out of it:

1) a stick shift, 5 speeds ideal
2) fewer maintenance issues than the CD i've got

so i'm thinking i should either:

A) sell this CD and pick up something else, adding 2-5K cash and whatever I get for the car to my new-mbz fund, and looking for a W123, like:

- 240D with a 300D turbo swapped in
- 300D euro version with 5-speed
- 240 D with an aftermarket 5 speed,

B) spend 2-5K on the CD - like transplant a 5-speed into it, a new ODO panel, an engine rebuild, new wheels, etc.

any opinions? which path will cause me less pain, do you think?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 09:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 1984 190D 2.2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would personally keep it, it's beautiful! You know the car inside and out, so there will be no unexpected things with it. All of the things that are in need of repair are fairly easy and inexpensive to do.

Try asking on the w123 forum. They would be helpfull in helping you decide what to do.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 12:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I love those cars and personally I would stick with what I know since you do enjoy the car. As stated, there should be few if any surprises since you have lived with and maintained this car for a while now. If you are simply getting bored on top of things, then sure a change is fine, but if not you have an elegant and classic cruiser on your hands that just needs some love now and then.

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: