LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Mar 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2006 E320 CDI Engine Replacement

My '06 E320 CDI was hyro-locked recently and it would need a new engine for sure. Insurance company just told me that the car would be "totaled". The car was never soaked in water. Engine seized while trying to cross a flooded street. Water was not high enough to enter into the car but high enough to be sucked in through intake. While the easiest way to fix this to take the insurance payment and walk away, but I am weighing in different options assuming if I could buy the car back at a reasonable price. The car has only 53K miles, and I was not the driver if you are curious about how this had happened!.

1. A local Mercedes dealer want to charge ~$15K to put a re-manufactured engine in. It comes with new engine warranty and whatever the standard guarantee on labor.

2. Source a used engine and have an independent MB mechanics put it in. I can get an used engine for $5000 and will have to throw 20 hours of labor on top of it... say $7500 in total.

3. Do a swap myself if I can get a shop repair manual. I don't know what is involved to take an engine out but might want to give it a try if people think I am capable of. The only engine work I have done was replacing timing belt for a Porsche 944 s2 and an Acura, if that counts. I am a pretty handy guy with some basic tools, air compressor, impact wrench, etc. Other stuffs I could put on my mechanic resume are drive shaft replacement for BMW, brakes for Honda/VW/BMW, and basic maintenance.

Last edited by gzz; 03-22-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 08:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sure you can get a "shop manual." Just call 800.for.merc and order the W211 service DVD, which includes the engine remove/install procedure.

Star Service CDs and DVDs

Note also that the official Mercedes Remanufactured Parts Catalog shows a part number for a rebuilt engine for your car (page 52) and either a dealer or an independent (with Mercedes experience) can install one of those.

I doubt you have all the equipment required to DIY exchange one of these engines and would leave it to the pros.

Kent Christensen
'07 GL320CDI

Last edited by lkchris; 03-23-2011 at 08:56 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 01:21 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: 2015 Audi S4, 1982 Fiat Spyder, 2010 R350
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Geez, I tore apart and rebuilt my MG-B motor with little prior experience back when I was in college. I would not recommend that with this engine.

Go for option #2, but only if the car is otherwise perfect.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: