post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2011
Vehicle: 2013 SL550, 2011 E550 4-Matic, 2010 S550, 2010 BMW X3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Has MBUSA Really Lost My Car?

Has anyone else had this problem with MBUSA on shipping a new car? Specifically, their shipper out of the Brunswick, Georgia processing facility.

I ordered a 2011 E550 back in January. It arrived at port and was released from Brunswick a week ago (about 280 miles, 5 hours, from here). I am told it was picked up by the MBUSA shipper last Friday and was "supposed" to be at the dealer in 3 days. I AM ANXIOUS!!!!

Now, however, no one knows where my car is. To me that says it's lost. But I could be wrong. You see, I've been corrected that "it is not lost", but that "it is on the truck." Unfortunately, no one seems to know where "the truck" is. Perhaps it's not the car, but the truck that is lost?

Anyway, I've also been told that the problem is with a new shipper MBUSA is using and it's likely that the "new" shipper will pick up the cars and hold them at a lot, or different lots, shuffling them around until there's a full load to haul. This is done to maximize their loads. This also, I assume, requires putting cars on and taking them off the shipping trailers several times. So are the cars being moved around a lot and exposed to unnecessary damage? Just great!!

Regardless, it looks like it may take MBUSA longer to truck a car 280 miles than Mercedes takes to ship an entire boat load of the things across the North Atlantic.

Does MBUSA truly have no way of tracking their delivery trucks? Is there really no schedule for getting a customer's vehicle to the dealers?

It's sad that a vehicle with such superior technology is at the mercy of such an incompetent and antiquated shipping policy/company/management.

Our dealer is great to work with. We have no reason to doubt them and we have nothing but great things to say about them. But they too are at the mercy of this incompetence. They are also "very confident" that the car will "show up soon." (Hopefully before the 2012's come out.)

While we were always BMW people, we switched last year. This is our THIRD new MB purchase this year (2010 S550, and a 2010 ML350.) Based on the apparent incompetence of this last transaction, it may be our last. Order a BMW and you can watch the thing get built from your computer, track it, know the day it will be at your dealer. Meanwhile, a MBUSA Mercedes is "on the truck"-----somewhere.

Thanks for letting me vent a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 05:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No doubt someone in the circle is two sandwiches short of a picnic, and lies through his teeth.

A car would show appreciation for preventive maintenance by never leaving his owner stranded.

Defensive Driving is never having to say you're sorry: a true love story between man and machine.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Cool

Just called MBUSA customer service. What an exercise in banging your head against a brick wall that was! The person I spoke with actually told me that they have no way of knowing where these cars are!!!!!! (I also think they may be looking for those sandwiches JoeVal mentioned!)

I'm apparently supposed to ask my dealer. I did that already and he doesn't know either! You'd be surprised at how difficult it was to get them to comprehend that little bit of data~!

I am told now that a case manager will call me. The car will probably find its way to the dealer by then---hopefully. But I still want to complain. We've spent a darn good bit of money on their cars this year to be told to p-off in so many words.

GEESH!!! I'm wondering if they still have some of the old Chrysler guys hanging around there. It sure doesn't sound like German precision, dedication, discipline and thoroughness made it past customs yet. The best or nothing? Well, they know nothing!! (In my best Sargent Schultz voice!)
LOL!
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 05:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What are the chances it was damaged in transit (on the ship) and they're working to fix it?

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianml View Post
What are the chances it was damaged in transit (on the ship) and they're working to fix it?
OUCH! Yeah, I thought about that also. If that's the case, I hope they confess and I'll order another one. But the car was shown as released to carrier/trucking company 3 days after its ship arrived at port. So it's not likely it was damaged prior to the carrier taking it.

I'm told that they are having a lot of problems with the new trucking company they use now and I'm a victim, just like the dealership is. Makes me wonder who didn't get that "Best or Nothing" memo when choosing a trucking firm!

Am I wrong to expect that it is a reasonable request to be told where the car is? when it will arrive? and be told a true answer?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 06:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I too find this odd as virtually all delivery vehicles have GPS tracking installed. Maybe you need to be even more of your own advocate and call the shipping company directly to see if they can track their own truck, rather than waiting for MB to do so.
I do agree, MB really seems to make little effort to keep customers happy at the corporate level, my local dealer is amazing but I always hear horror stories when dealing with corporate. Do they really not know how many dedicated and loyal drivers have left the brand? Do they count how many people will never buy a new MB because of reading stories like yours? Does the dealer feel no urgency in satisfying a three car customer?!?!?! I feel your grief, hope the car shows up soon. Please keep us posted.

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 06:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianml View Post
This does happen and is sorted at port when the ship arrives. The prep shop does everything from adding the windshield decal to minor bodywork for damaged vehicles. If this happened on the truck, that's another story but pretty unlikely I think as they would probably just make it an insurance claim.

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectLA View Post
I too find this odd as virtually all delivery vehicles have GPS tracking installed. Maybe you need to be even more of your own advocate and call the shipping company directly to see if they can track their own truck, rather than waiting for MB to do so.
I do agree, MB really seems to make little effort to keep customers happy at the corporate level, my local dealer is amazing but I always hear horror stories when dealing with corporate. Do they really not know how many dedicated and loyal drivers have left the brand? Do they count how many people will never buy a new MB because of reading stories like yours? Does the dealer feel no urgency in satisfying a three car customer?!?!?! I feel your grief, hope the car shows up soon. Please keep us posted.
Thanks! I'm sure it will arrive soon. But it's very frustrating that even the dealer is not getting a straight answer from the shipping/trucking company. I'm not sure who made the big executive decision to choose this particular company, but they seem to have put cost far above quality, customer service, reliability, credibility, integrity and common sense. How ironic that MBUSA sells high end, high quality, expensive luxury cars and seemingly work so hard to cheapen everything else about their business. People that buy quality expect quality. We're paying for it and we are due better performance not just from the car, but from those who we deal with as a result. Otherwise we'd be driving something else.

My dealer is fantastic. They are good, friendly, work hard for us, take care of us, and treat us with great respect and fair play. It's more like visiting family or a good friend than haggling with a car salesman. We can not say enough good things about them. It is disappointing that MBUSA does not follow their example. Unfortunately, the dealer can only ask the shipper and the shipper MBUSA uses seems to know only 4 words: "It's on the truck!" How utterly hypocritical is it that MBUSA takes this approach while hoisting the banner of "The Best Or Nothing." (Que Sargent Schultz! LOL )

Oh, and we're a 4 car customer with this dealer. I sold the ML350 when I ordered the E and my wife picked up a BMW X3 for her daily driver. Smart move. Maybe I should have walked to the other side of the show room instead of stopping at the E. Oh, and they don't treat us well because of the 4 cars. We bought 4 cars because the treated us well at the start!

Last edited by Richard Bachman; 03-17-2011 at 06:46 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 07:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
1. Worst case scenario: The dealer sold the car to someone for more money.
2. Best case scenario: The truck driver overslept at Motel 6.
Between 1, 2, anything else can happen.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 07:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: nothing broken. finally!
some shoddy companies are moving MB vehicles lately. Makes me double stare at the condition of their trucks. Although they are driving carefully, if nothing else

vw phaeton. when vw copies mercedes, but forces you to service it next to golfs and jettas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in