LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs down Cheap Plastics In Newer Mercedes

For 10 years I've owned Mercedes. I started with an 80 300TD, then to 91SD, 91SDL and now a nice 95 E350 Convertible. I spend quite a bit of time either doing repairs myself or having repairs done at a shop here (not dealer) who is fairly reasonable. I see many of the V12's in his shop which are "frequent flyers". Seems they are constantly in need of expensive repairs.

Since I have an interest in MB cars, I've noticed that on the newer ones the plastic seems to be really short-lived. The headlight lenses seem to cloud up within 4 years of new. I think this is a very big blemish on the MB name. If they had any pride, they would offer to change them all with new ones at no charge to the current owner whether they are the ones who purchased them new or not. Other plastic parts are just as bad becoming brittle and cracking after just a few years. I know that on my convertible the ASR had to be replaced because they tried an "environmentally friendly" plastic insulation that resulted in the insulation completely deteriorating after 14 years. I have the old one here and have cut it open. It's amazing that a company with a reputation to uphold would make such absolute CRAP. They should admit their mistakes and replace all such parts without cost to the vehicle owners as a "recall" for poor material performance. I've noticed a trend with the newer cars I see where plastic trim pieces broken or missing.

MB, YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED of how you've let the quality fade...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 01:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 1984 190D 2.2
It seems like the late 80's were really the last of the bullet proof Mercedes. They let the quality slip with 90's/ early 2000's models, but are begining to get better now.

Let's hope that they bring the reputation back up to the old bullet proof luxury cars that they once were.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 02:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: nothing broken. finally!
it is horrible all over. A lot of the "new" genuine parts are now made in crap countries and are of crap quality. Half the time they dont even fit.

If you have spare $ and come across good stuff made in germany, don't think but pick it up. Because when you need to replace it, the new one will likely be made in pakistan and not fit.

Pretty much makes me want to buy a toyota. They aren't precise enough to worry about such issues

Concidentally i see a lot of indies avoid working on cars later than the 80s. I am beginning to understand why. The parts are crap, the newer you go..

vw phaeton. when vw copies mercedes, but forces you to service it next to golfs and jettas
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 02:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984babybenz View Post
It seems like the late 80's were really the last of the bullet proof Mercedes. They let the quality slip with 90's/ early 2000's models, but are begining to get better now.

Let's hope that they bring the reputation back up to the old bullet proof luxury cars that they once were.
Have you seen headlight doors (plastic part) on those MB from 1980's?
Sure the older car had more metal parts and metal will outlast the plastic time-wise, but consider that in 1980 a Mercedes cost almost the same what California median house. Now, even the real estate took nose-dive the median house in CA is about $200,000.
Than making curved headlights with glass is almost impossible. Use of plastic allows the shapes unthinkable in the past.
Than if somebody is complaining that 12 years old car is having aging issues, I always take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Kajtek1; 03-16-2011 at 02:46 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 04:48 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 2009 GL320 - 2005 SL600 - 1989 260E - 1991 Allante - Old Jeep
Plastic parts on my 2001 SL600 started breaking 3 or 4 years ago. Top pull down handle, sunvisor base plates & trunk fuse box cover. I have had the headlights buffed out twice 2010 & 2007. Crazy on a $132,000 car. It still drives great!

-Steve-
Of The Great Western USA
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 10:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
OH, well, I am on 3rd keypad on my laptop and couple of the keys are not working again. Not to mention the touch pad is wear out to the degree, that shows different color plastic under the top layer. 7 motherboards were replaced under the warranty.
Where do I complain? It is Dell....only 1/2 the age of our family Mercedes.

Last edited by Kajtek1; 03-16-2011 at 10:09 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 10:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: nothing broken. finally!
nowhere. it's a dell.

vw phaeton. when vw copies mercedes, but forces you to service it next to golfs and jettas
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2005
(Thread Starter)
Well I expect better from a company whose reputation is one of quality. My 95 Cabriolet is one of the last hand-built cars and even it had some serious plastic issues. I'm not sure that MB can recover since they no longer manufacture all their parts. Once you let your parts out to cheap sources, it's hard to bring them back home without a substantial increase in cost. In this current market, any increase in price will kill your sales...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 08:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
No matter what car you drive, if you park it in the shade, or use sun shade, the car's plastic will last longer.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Ditto to mbvis. I use a windshield sun shade and also have the powered rear window one. Plus at home it is under the carport. Sun exposure also damages the rubber seals and the black "anodized" trim pieces. Eventually it will fade the paint too.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in