Cheap Plastics In Newer Mercedes - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 01:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
fyi about the damage caused by sunshine, for 10 years, I parked my car at work facing north. The heat of the afternoon sun curved then ejected the wood trim around year 5. Not to exaggerate, the driver's plastic appears more faded if I really look to compare. Driving home northbound, today, I look half brown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wood.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	363567  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 09:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How convenient for you--you've now rationalized yourself a reason for not buying a new Mercedes.

I've owned the cars you have and now some fairly recent ones (2007s) and can say without doubt there's NOTHING better about the older cars. Mercedes has nothing to be ashamed of, although Bosch does with regards to early 2000s electronics, but that's not the topic here.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 05:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
To make it clear, I know as a fact that in 1998-2003 era MB did have some substandard materials used on their cars.
Like harmonic balancers, window regulators, rubber grommets on washer reservoirs in ML. . Those exact designs work on 20+ years old car, but fail on 5 years old, but use of plastic is a non-reversible trend like use of cellphones and no longer those hanging on the walls.
And you can complain about interior plastics fading on the sun, but would you want the metal inner fenders living in 4-seasons?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 12:50 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 04 E320 Sport
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 04' E320 (7 years old) has a big bubble and stretch marks on the center console/armrest. It makes the interior look like sh*t. I also have a 89' Mitsubishi (22 years old) and the center console/armrest looks like new.........
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
To make it clear, I know as a fact that in 1998-2003 era MB did have some substandard materials used on their cars.
Like harmonic balancers, window regulators, rubber grommets on washer reservoirs in ML. . Those exact designs work on 20+ years old car, but fail on 5 years old, but use of plastic is a non-reversible trend like use of cellphones and no longer those hanging on the walls.
And you can complain about interior plastics fading on the sun, but would you want the metal inner fenders living in 4-seasons?
You will note the title of this thread is "CHEAP" plastics, not "plastics". Of course we have taken the trip down plastic lane and it's unlikely that trend will reverse (although I believe the metal parts will always be superior to plastic ones). The reason the headlight lenses deteriorate SO fast is because of the quality of the plastic. Some 15 year old Toyotas and even Chevrolets (oh my...) have much better durability of their plastic. And some of the problem is simply designing the plastic part to be too thin (like the hinge points on the sun visor mirrors).
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 07:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Thanks for clearing the issue. The main problem with plastic is that you can't judge their quality by the initial look, until the time will prove them.
I see similar looking tarps, where 1 deteriorated in singe summer, the other lasted 4 years.
Still know fact in CA are ABS pipes used about 25 years ago for sewer pipes. One batch of them had bad quality and are are cracking for no good reason. Can you imagine the cost of cutting the house walls and floors open to replace all sewer pipes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in