LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 99 ML320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Dealers cause more problems for maintenance?

I had two recalls on my ML replaced, harmonic dampener and power steering clip. Going into the dealer there was really no issues; the "low range" gear problem I had was remedied. Fast forward 4 hours and I park at a CVS only to come out to all sorts of electrical problems when trying to leave: all the lights at the bottom are on, gauges dead, and front and rear wipers will not stop operating despite being in the off position. I turned the car off, when I turn it back on, no still is going wacky.

Get the car towed to my mechanic who sees 15-17 codes. He clears them, goes to drive it in all conditions, wet, dry, mud, hard, stop and codes get thrown. He checks all 4 wheel sensors, cleans all connections, checks resistance of the cables to the wheel sensors. He can't figure it out. He said there's SOMETHING causing it to trip, but in the two days he's had my car he couldn't get it to trip. He doesn't charge me anything again.

He told me the best bet was to take it to the dealer and explain the problem, explain what he did, and have them hook it to a machine that checks the continuity and resistance of each harness so we can know exactly what's going on if every other sensor is good. Apparently there's over 13 miles of wire in the ML. He said the confidence in knowing what has already been done to find the problem when explaining it to the dealer vs "I have a check engine light on and this is happening" should keep them from completely raping me, lol.

I get home, rest for 2 hours, then run errands. This errand run trips something and although it wasn't crazy with the gauges dying, etc it did go to low range and now the check engine light is back on. WTF? I didn't have any of these problems before taking it to the dealer to get these recalls fixed, now I have all sorts of electrical bugs. This car is driving me crazy. Aside from the electrical sensory nonsense, it drives amazingly and runs well. But this kind of crap makes me want to go back to driving my old 63 Beetle. No electronics, no frills, just pure car.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Clearly that dealer did something wrong. If there is any reason to use them for service is a 12/12,000 mile warranty on the work they perform.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 99 ML320
(Thread Starter)
I think it's just too hard to prove that THEY did something wrong. Given the fact my mechanic drove the car for 30 miles around town trying to get it to trip, and the little bit of driving I did to it will probably make them that much more resilient to the accusation.

It's just so frustrating to bring a car to a dealer and THEN it starts having problems. It's so difficult to prove otherwise. Brumos Mercedes FTL.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 01:33 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: nothing broken. finally!
should have called mb roadside and had it towed back to dealer

however it is not unheard of things failing unrelated. i've left car, picked it up with a cel fault was something completely unrelated to anything anybody would have touched/done since me dropping it off.

vw phaeton. when vw copies mercedes, but forces you to service it next to golfs and jettas
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 02:12 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Sep 2006
Quality assurance... cannot get around the fact that, in all facets of life, most people graduate at the bottom 95% of the class....

There are no cars built south of Munich
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: