LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Mar 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2003 C320 Coupe Should I buy

I found a 2003 C320 Coupe with approx 60,000 miles on the car and 8,400 mile on a new dealer installed motor. The guy drove through some water at a high speed and hydrolocked the motor. He does have the reciept for the new installed motor and the car is in perfect shape and never seen winter. He had upgraded extras like the panoramic roof, 17" wheels, Bose system w/6 CD changer and upgraded interior package. One set of snow tires. The motor was installled new with some AMG parts. I would like to know if this car has a history of repairs and what I would expect if I bought it and how much would be a good price to ask. What kind of gas milage do these get and anything else i should check or be aware of. This would be my first Mercedes. Like i stated the car is show room condintion.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 05:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't see how somebody with so many concerns would consider getting into waters so deep. The car -as any MB to be kept in good running order- will require high end maintenance, plus the lack of a manufacturer's warranty, the expectancy of the unexpected, and the below average history of this vintage cars makes it a great toy, which will do what you expect, but at a cost that will probably be beyond your projections. Note the reason to sell it: "Mi wife wants a Honda" (something more dependable or requiring fewer expenses).

Bottom line, have a board meeting with your wallet and discuss in depth what you wish to do, and, if pertinent, how you'll handle foreseeable and unforeseeable expenses. Then, if you would decide to purchase it, you will be very pleased as long as you keep one step ahead from maintenance and repair needs.

A car would show appreciation for preventive maintenance by never leaving his owner stranded.

Defensive Driving is never having to say you're sorry: a true love story between man and machine.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 10:01 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: '11 Santa Fe LTD V6 AWD-Navi, '99 CLK 320 (traded for family mover), '96 200SX (SOLD) :(
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by delwood View Post
1)The guy drove through some water at a high speed and hydrolocked the motor.

2)...and never seen winter...One set of snow tires.

3)I would like to know if this car has a history of repairs and what I would expect if I bought it and how much would be a good price to ask.

4)...anything else i should check or be aware of. This would be my first Mercedes.

5)Like i stated the car is show room condition.
1)Laws of physics makes that statement virtually impossible, front wheels are way too far behind the intake duct. More likely either in a ditch full of water or flooded in a river. Many cars due for repo end up in rivers, get pulled out and sold at auctions by insurance companies and restored and resold. It's not right but it happens.

2)Kinda makes you think about that when you read it how I rewrote it...

3)Unless it was serviced at the dealer (and you happen to know which dealer) you can get a print out of all history from that specific dealer, plus any warranty/recall work performed. Seems fishy so you could be in for a headache with this car. As well, a myriad of electrical issues if it was a flood recovery vehicle.

4)Read my signature below. As such, stay on top of maintenance, engine and tranny are not cheap for new. For that model I believe 18k and 7-8k respectively.

5)You'd be amazed at what a detailer can do for 200 bones...

Standing outside the box here, it sounds a bit fishy. If the water was high enough to get sucked into the intake and in large enough quantity to completely fill all intake ducts, airbox and hydro-lock the engine (that's a lot of water by the way) there are bound to be other issues, considering the tranny sits lower than the intake port that's one place I foresee issues. I don't suggest this specific car as your first MB especially if you are not a shade tree mechanic (cause it's not worth dumping money in to this as a daily driver if there are going to be problems with it down the road). I think I would check around for others, you'll probably pay more, but it may be less in the long run...

A Benz is like a good wife: Not overly expensive to maintain, but neglected gets expensive awfully quick!
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: