post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 99 ML320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Which mechanic do you use?

An interesting question posed in my head after meeting an individual yesterday. The guy was an ex-Mercedes Germany Stuttgart engineer in the 70's and 80's. He's not published in the phone book and came as a recommendation from the indie dealer I bought my car from. He's the mechanic that looks over all of the Mercedes the indie dealer buys from the auctions and gets them suitable for resale.

Initially I thought to myself, "oh, he was a mechanic at the Stuttgart plant" but when I met the guy, he was literally a Mercedes engineer. I don't know the specific models he had his hands in, but he engineered several parts for various models. When talking to the guy, he told me about being the head tech at a Merc dealer when he came here to the states, but couldn't sleep at night with how outrageous the american automotive industry is compared to the german counterparts (long discussion there). So he opened his own shop. It's very low key and aside from the indie dealer, only has a very small clientele base. His shop doesn't even have signage, but if you go to it (in a warehouse facility), there were 2 AMGs in there, a CTS-V getting an engine rebuilt, and an old Chevelle pimped out that he has in the garage.

He cleared some codes I threw with the speed sensors and drove the piss out of my ML trying to see if they would throw a code again and checked a couple things out for free.

So it poses the question, given the situation I just explained, would you go to him or would you look for another indie dealer that's well advertised/known or would you goto an authorized dealer to work on your car? Guy was really nice. We chatted and spoke about German cars and culture for an hour or so and he did stuff to my car free of charge. Really honest guy form what I gathered with tons of experience. A keeper? I guess the extreme low key is what's throwing me.

Last edited by rupintart; 03-01-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 04:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 1984 190D 2.2
He sounds like a keeper. Take your car there a few times and see if he does a good honest job.

Who would I go to? I do all my own work
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 07:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
I can write whole book about common misconceptions.
Good for you that you have found trusted mechanic but beware.
1. "plant mechanic" are people trained to put 2 or 4 screws and those screws only.
2. engineers are for checking and testing not for getting their hands dirty. I had a talk with my father, who is electrical engineer and tested wiring in newly purchased house OK, but when it come to repair faulty thermo-switch "he had other people for doing that"
Than my late friend used to own indy German car shop in Los Angeles area. Even he was Polish, he used audio shop in Burbank owned by German guy, he would use rebuild transmissions only from one shop owned by German guy and so on.
There must be something to it

Last edited by Kajtek1; 03-01-2011 at 09:19 PM.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 07:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If he owns/drives a used MB then he's genuine.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 11:42 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My concerns would be what is the true level of his expertise when it comes to repairs (tho it appears high) and also does he have insurance and bonded in the event your vehicle is damaged or destroyed while in his care, such as a warehouse fire or even a small accident on a test drive. If this checks out, I'd give him a shot, sounds like you could have lucked into something good.

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 99 ML320
(Thread Starter)
Well I went in today because some codes popped up (the typical dash lights coming on). He ran my vin and told me my car was under a recall of the Harmonic Balancer and some other clip. So he told me to take it to the dealer to get replaced. He said the increased load from the engine (vibrations, torquing, etc) are causing strain on my alternator, thus giving bad electrical readings, thus throwing codes. Good guy. Definitely gonna use him for all my mechanic needs. I can do the simple stuff on my own, but any sort of major work, he's definitely my go to guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in