new to the site, new to mercedes, new to deisel, new obsession - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 1984 Mercedes 300DT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post new to the site, new to mercedes, new to deisel, new obsession

hi guys, this is my first post. id like to thank you all for posting and helping so much. it has me obsessed with my car and fixing/maintaining it myself. i find it gratifying. thanks again, i love this site and my car.

so, a few weeks ago i woke up and saw a 1984 300TD for $650. i went and looked at it and drove it and couldnt believe the shape this car was in. i got it professionally detailed the next day(and honestly, the guy couldve squeezed another $200 out of me for a $40 wash).

so going into this, i was skeptical. the car is in immaculate cosmetic condition inside and out. at first glance of this guy i noticed his hands had been under the hood and he seemed pretty knowledgeable about mercedes. he explained that hes had about 30 of them throughout the years and 'is selling it because of the expense of his two houses.' he seemed pretty honest, although i dont know if what he said was untrue, but instead inaccurate.

either way, he told me about the glow plugs being out. but he had purchased the replacements(again, he couldve gotten more money for what took me an hour to replace).

ok so a few weeks later, after reading this site daily(thanks again) about something or another, ive been working on/in it.

ive replaced the glow plugs, both fuel filters under the hood, running it on 50/50, cleaned/replaced air intake and filter, oiled a few things that seemed to stick on the transmission(i have no idea what its called) cable and assembly(?), cleaned the banjo bolt and other bolts that kind of look like the banjo bolt(just for good measure), and some trim work and deep cleaning inside.

so after all of that the ol' gal is running twice as nice as when i bought it. please feel free to lend me any more ideas/suggestions on general maintenence. i paid $15 for firestone to pick it up and do an 'inspection' aka write up a bunch of shit of things i dont really need.. all of the fluids look good, but the tie rod on the front drivers side is bad. i can feel the wheel shake at about 50+mph. so that is my next project(i was actually coming to the computer to order it but i didnt plan on writing a novel beforehand )

SO, my real question is this. it makes me smile proudly when i hear that turbo spool up. ive seen on here and on youtube the air intake mod. ive read everything on here, so i know the downsides to it, but is there any other way to get that airplane(haha) sound louder without getting debris in the engine?

also, here are some very general questions:
>on the shifting column, what do S and L stand for? im assuming theyre german for 'low' and something else..
>under the hood(ive found them on other year models in the salvage yard) i cannot find the box that contains the transmission vacuum valve levers
>i have some exterior trim coming up, so how do i safely remove the piece in order to replace the pieces that attatch it?
>how do those fools on youtube get these things to burnout(not that i would ever, just want more performance)?
>ALDA tweaking... good or bad idea?

im sure ill have more general questions soon if you guys end up helping me out..

ok well i was officially supposed to be in class one minute ago haha. well thanks in advance, and heres the pic

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/members/owlthathurts-albums-my-1984-300td-picture2319-1984-300td.jpg
1984 300DT Cali
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 03:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 1984 190D 2.2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Very nice find. Guys in the w123 forum would apperciate this/ know everything you need.
W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

I'd recomend changing all of the fluids and filters. It will keep it running for another 27 years!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 04:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Nice find.
I did own 2 of those in SW and actually made money on them.
The vacuum valve from what I remember was on 85 models, so your might never have one. Check with the current owners and welcome to the forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in