post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 1981 240D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My New 240d needs help

Hey yall, I wish my first post didn't have to be asking for help but so be it.

I just bought a 1981 240d, the odometer reads 60k and it works, but I'm a little sketched out by such low mileage. Either way I plan on getting as many miles out of as I can, provided I can start the thing.

When I bought it was in South Carolina on a nice warm sunny day, the car started right up. I started it two or three times that day without any problems. When I drove it, it wouldn't downshift while going up hills, you can manually shift it down and it works fine and has plenty of getup then, but the car won't do it on its own.

But that's not the real issue. After I bought it and drove it home it sat overnight and it got pretty cold that night. Not 0 cold but I'd say 15-20 degrees. Next morning wouldn't start. I ran the battery dead over the course of the next few relatively warm (50 degrees or so) days trying to start it. We finally got it started yesterday, after it had warmed up in the sun for a whole day, with a new battery in it, and with some starter fluid. I had to keep giving it gas for a while after it got started otherwise I felt like it was going to stall out. It idles really low. I drove it for a while, parked it overnight and it didn't really get that cold at all but today it won't get going. It will start for just a minute and then immediately stall out, like its not getting enough fuel to keep it going. I don't know anything about the car, haven't replaced anything except the little see-thru fuel filter near the engine, which was pretty nasty. Is it possible there's a clog in the fuel lines somewhere? When things are hot it'll start right up, but when things are even moderately chilly its a no-go.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 01:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 1987 560SL / 2003 ML320 / 2006 Mini Cooper S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Welcome to Benzworld! Post your question in the forum for W123 cars - you are much more likely to get some answers there.

Be sure to fill out your profile when you get a chance.

Good luck with the car.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 08:35 PM
Outstanding Contributor
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld

W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class - - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one."
- George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: