Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: 400E 1993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post 4 Questions about 400E engine stopping while driving

1/23/2011

Hi Folks,

Thank you in advance for considering my question about engine stalling and my very, very short post. Herein, I present here the following:

A) A short description of my 1993 400E's symptoms as I understand them;

B) My check list ;

C) My 4 questions and

D) A profuse well intended thank you.

By way of introduction, I am a new Forum member; hardly a skilled mechanic; and I hope I am posting my story correctly. If not, please correct, and I won't take it personally.

A. Problem Symptoms and recent performance maintenance background:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With my 400e (1993, last Vin digits 930922, 152k) about 2x per hour when I am driving (at almost speed) my engine cuts off, the dashboard lights up ABS, Check Engine, SRS etc. This has been going on for about 1 year. This drives my girlfriend crazy who is anxious for me to fix ASAP.

When this happens, I shift in neutral, restart and I’m on my way, that is until the next time. And I assure my gal that I will attend to this soon. Clearly, I have been remiss.

Also, perhaps on a related matter, in the past week, the engine has been running a bit rough when I start.

Side note, but perhaps of interest, in terms of fuel purchased, I almost always (95%) purchase Premium at my neighbourhood Costo in Los Angeles. And I'm pretty good about following scheduled maintenance.

B). Checklist to find 'The Cause':
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After combing the archives this is what my checklist looks like (freely plagiarizing without directly attributing the various members inputs to save writing space (apologies in advance). I will thus….
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Check Crankshaft Position Sensor; TDC Sender; Front of Engine (I noticed that there were two listed for sale at

Your Parts Search Returned 2 Part(s)

My hope is this one: TDC sensor Crankshaft Position Sensor; TDC Sender; Front of Engine ($41.69) -- as I understand, the crankshaft position sensor governs ignition timing so if its malfunctioning then EZL ignition module won't function properly.

The reason why I’m hoping that it’s the last part number is because it’s about 1/3 rd the cost of the other.

Also, I know it’s such a newbee question, but is the engine serial number the same as the VIN?

I ask this because the part number says the less expensive one is For models with engine serial number through 010028.

Of course, I’ll call the dealer, provide my vin and see what the part number is (same for any parts I refer to in this short (ha ha!) note;

2. Clean MAF;

3. Check Vacuum Leaks;

4. . Check Alternator noting that I plan to drive with my headlights on, fan blowing on high, stereo cranked up during the day and see if it will shut off again., and will step on my brakes at high speed. Assuming the battery is good, I have read that if it turns off that could mean my alternator is not putting out enough juice to recharge the battery;

5. Throttle slide issues. I plan to clean the throttle body and as well remove the MAS sensor and clean the throttle body interior(butter fly flap) and surrounding areas with carburetor cleaner using a tooth brush and plastic scowering pad. If I go this route, it has been recommended that I purchase a new boot for MAS sendor before starting;

6. I do plan on getting spark plugs, and will inspect my dist cap and rotors. If they look a little crispy then I’ll pop for some new ones as well as checking the inside of the ignition wires that go into the cap and looking for corrosion on the terminals. Any recommendations for spark plugs and wires (not just types, but part numbers?);

7. Check fuel pump relay while noting that Fuel Pump Relay should not cause ABS light to go on; (and check fuel pressure regulator)

8 .OVP=Over Volt(age) Protection. Common stalling problem (but I’m not sure at this point if 400E has OVP; rather I have read that in the 400 model the OVP has been incorporated into the base module that sits in the back left corner of the engine compartment next to the firewall looking like a proud battery);

9 Check the ground on ICU (connected to the L/H inner fender);

10. Check for bad stoplight switch; noting that stop lamp switch is under the driver dash, operated by the brake pedal lever;

11. Check for injector disconnect

12. Check for failed throttle body idle/WOT switch and a failed throttle linkage idle switch;

13. Pray it's not yet the harness and / or the the TBA (throttle body actuator);

C. My 4 questions
~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Well, so am I missing anything? If so, what?

2. And is my diagonstic-ish order a reasonable one to in which to proceed in?

3. If I do want to read the computer codes, does anyone have any suggestions on which posts to read?

4. Also, as I've perused through an electronic copy of the Mercedes Benz Manual, I notice it refers to genuine Mercedes Parts list. Any ideas on where do I get that? Or what it's called? (Anyone? Ferris?)

D. Final Thoughts
~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you so much for considering my case, and I hope of course, as I learn more to post my own experiences (failed or successful),

Peace out

Josh

Last edited by jb400e; 01-23-2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: usual typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:25 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Unhappy

There are two issues that are common to these cars: bad engine room harnesses, bad Electronic Throttle Actuator. When you bought your car, did it come with any records to indicate if these two parts had been replaced? Both are rather expensive and having them replaced will almost equal he value of the car.

'89 300E
'90 300CE
'93 400E
'93 500E
'00 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thank you Tuttebenne for your thoughts on the harness and the ETA. Fortunately there are records for the car and unfortunately neither the ETA nor the harness have been replaced.

I did pull 7 codes off the car at my independent mechanic's.

They are in order pulled:

006 EFP(?) N411
182 HFM -safety fuel shut-of
013 Sol Valve 3y6
107 Sp; Valve 3y10
030 EFP N411 or EFP Fault

Peace

Josh
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 10:07 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: E420 '94 240D '82 200E '91
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb400e View Post
Thank you Tuttebenne for your thoughts on the harness and the ETA. Fortunately there are records for the car and unfortunately neither the ETA nor the harness have been replaced.

I did pull 7 codes off the car at my independent mechanic's.

They are in order pulled:

006 EFP(?) N411
182 HFM -safety fuel shut-of
013 Sol Valve 3y6
107 Sp; Valve 3y10
030 EFP N411 or EFP Fault

Peace

Josh
Your problem is the 182 code.
Either the engine is loosing contact with the ECU because of a fried engine harness and the ECU shuts down the fuel pump or the fuel pressure might be low because of faulty pump or bad filter. Trace the fuel lines from pump to engine. Code 182 can be thrown if the vehicle is in an accident and the airbags deploy. Or it's just a simple thing like the fuel pump relay.

E420 '93
240D '82 "The wheel"
200E '91
230E '83 "archaeological effect"
Contra verbosus noli contendere verbis, sermo datur cunctis, animi sapientia paucis.

Mercedes technician 20 years fixing Mercedes.

Last edited by daddi; 01-28-2011 at 10:19 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 12:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
I was going to suggest having the fuel filter changed. It looks like a popular suggestion - and the cheapest of anything you could have done to find the cause of this problem.

'89 300E
'90 300CE
'93 400E
'93 500E
'00 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thank you so much -- tuttebenne and daddi for your generous thoughts and advice.

I like the idea of the fuel filter. I'll get right on that.

My independent mechanic suggested I change the 2 caps / and 2 rotars (which I ordered for about $180 via ebay). I figure that's a good thing anyways because I the car has not had those changed in a least 50k of driving (I just changed the tran. fluid / oil and plugs in last 2 weeks).

Lately it does this thing where the dash lights go on (dashboard lights up ABS, Check Engine, SRS etc.) but instead of a full restart, where I restart the engine (bear in mind, I'm driving when this occurs), I just turn the key off and and on and the car engine runs again.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if the engine ever did shut off, or whether it those lights were lighting up and then no fuel was going to engine for whatever reason,

i.e., fuel cutoff (pump, harness, pressure)

I'll keep you all posted!

peace

Josh

p.s. my next little gremlins are tracing the a/c/ heat fan that cuts in and out. I've read here that it might be just brushes. Though I notice that my cruise control goes out at the same time.... (some times)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Update on 400e turning off while running.

After changing the rotars / caps, plugs and wires (it was time, had been 50k), I then changed the neutral safety switch and voila! -- it works.

Also, replaced a corroded fuse on the a/c fan (the it was intermittently working) and now heat and a/c work well.

I really appreciate all the feedback. Thank you all so much and I hope that this story is helpful also for other owners,

Peace

Josh

p.s. any body have thoughts about least expensive engine mounts for 400e? (running a bit loud at moment)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in