post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: 2006 Mercedes ML500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
fuel sender stuck after fuel filter replacement

I have a 2006 ML500 with 52K miles on it, purchased in late 2005. I just had my dealership replace the fuel filter as a maintenance item with a 5 year recommendation - a pricey $600ish. No problem encountered, just regular maintenance. Less than one week later, same tank of fuel, my car stalled on the highway and I was towed into the closest dealership. They determined that although my fuel gauge read 1/4 tank, the tanks were actually bone dry due to a "stuck" fuel level sender -- another $745 bill plus $80 towing. My fuel gauge was always accurate before, never had a jumpy needle or anything close. My question: could the first dealership have damaged the "level sender" when they replaced the fuel filter? do they pressurize the the system? what could they have done wrong to cause this? Common sense tells me something they did caused this secondary problem. How can I prove it? Thanks for any insight that will help me prove my case. Debbie
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 10:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Some old discussion about the fuel sender of the same ML model:
Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum - Search Results
It's a known "common" problem. What happened to your ML might be coincidental but it came right after the service so it might not be coincidental at all.
Talk to the first dealer, tell them about the fuel sender problem after their service without pointing any finger at anyone or anything, hear their explanation then plot your next move from there.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: