post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
C230 2006 Sport: Trany Question!

Hi all,

First forgive me for the ignorance on the topic, i tried to search and find out any info, but i did not get lucky on the topic, so here it is.

1) When i drive on S (mode) and I use the gear box to drive, the shifting goes well up to 6th gear. If there is a red light ahead and i am forced to slow down, even to stop, the gear box never goes to 1 unless i move it to 1st gear. And when i start accelerating the car acts as it is in D and shift itself up to the gear that was last time, and then sits at that gear unless you upshift or downshift. Is this the expected result or am i missing something here.

Example:

If you are on 5th and you stop the Gear Display still shows 5th, never goes to 1st
If you were driving on 5th gear and suddenly a red light ahead and you arrive on a dead stop, gear display still shows 5th, you start accelerating again, the shifting occurs on its own up to 5th then it sits there unless you move it.

2) Just took the car to the shop today and got the AC Serviced trying to get rid of the smell coming from the AC, old musty smell. It cost me 500 Dollars, and i was wondering if this is the expected amount for that kind of service.

3) When i use the gear box to drive, and if i am on the 5th gear and driving on 3K RPM if i hit the shifter to the left to downshift, to go to 4th gear, i feel a kick from the transmission (if feels like the trany has a hiccup and then u see the rpm rave to catchup with the speed of the car). Anyone has any ideas if this may be an issue, or is it normal?

4) While driving on the 4th gear and the RPM's are at about 4K if you remove your foot from the gas pedal and let the car cruise on its own, you hear a sound like you hear when you drive on reverse and fast. (Hope u get what i mean), It only occurs when you pull the foot off the gas on 4th gear, but not when u accelerate.

Thank you in Advance.

If this is on the wrong forum, please REMOVE. Sorry!

Last edited by Bonus; 01-15-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 07:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi, Bonus:

I assume from your mention of a 6th in "S" that you have a W204 with a 722.9 7G-Tronic tranny.

When you drive the car in "S" Mode, the car will start in 1st gear and be available through 6th. In this mode the 7th gear can only be entered by hand. Incidentally, driving in this mode is recommended in hilly areas or over sand. In general, is otherwise used to drive aggressively as if it were a manual tranny.

When you are manually entering the gears, and stop at a light in 5th gear, it behaves like any other manual tranny unless you previously take it to "N", and then to "D" (in other words, unless you go back to an automatic control).

When in manual tranny control and you downshift, you are asking a set of gears to increase the rotation speed to try to reach the speed of the car.
That is why this action should be coupled to either braking, or giving more gas. I would first learn these things at a good circuit driving school before using the maneuver, otherwise you will expend quite a bit in repairs.

When you lift the foot off the gas pedal, especially in the high gears, it will be the same as if you lift it in a comparable gear of a car with 5 speeds manual tranny.

Enjoy your ride, but do not punish it the way you seem to say.

Cheers, JV

A car would show appreciation for preventive maintenance by never leaving his owner stranded.

Defensive Driving is never having to say you're sorry: a true love story between man and machine.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2010
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thank you for the information.

All the above was mostly testing, as i just bought the car few weeks ago. Trying to isolate any forthcoming issues going forward.

Again Thanks for your information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in