BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New member from the Philippines :newbie:

Hi guys!

I'm Roldan from Cebu City, Philippines and I have 2 classic Mercedes-Benz vehicles; 1966 W110 200 and 1973 W116 280S. Both are euro spec.

here's the the story of my 2 cars:

The 200,

This is used to be our family car since my father bought it in 1990. It been with us for 19 years. Using the car to fetch us to school, used as an ambulance (it happened to me when I was sick with severe allergic reaction and used to ferry my father in and out of the hospital for treatment after he was diagnosed with cancer in January 2002 and he died 3 months after). This is also my big brother and I learning to drive with my dad and the M121 was responsive, lots of power because of dual carburetors, and it was very addictive to flooring it down, in 1996, after graduating from high school, the M121 has died (engine seized: bent cranks,rods,stripped bearings and cracked head) despite the parts were plenty at that time but this is beyond economic repair; talking about shelling out more bucks, instead, bought an engine; 2.2L single carbbed Astron 80 from '80 Mitsubishi Galant Sigma sedan coupled with 5-speed Borg-Warner manual gearbox, and some major works on the body repair and painted red. It ran well but very far from M121 in terms of drivabilty,power,torque and durability but the parts are cheaper (but high maintenance) higher top speed because of 5-speed gearbox. In 2008,one afternoon, while on an errand on a motorcycle, I happened to pass by a small junk shop and got the sight of an engine that's very familiar shape, I got off my bike to take a closer look and it was a descent M115 engine with 4-speed manual gearbox from wrecked '74 W115 200 Euro spec. and it was for sale before it's to be disassembled and sold for scrap metal and I returned with some tools, used the 27mm socket wrench to turn the engine manually and it was turning fine, taking off the valve cover to inspect the state of the valve train components and all the valve train parts are worn except the camshaft which was in very good state, able to bench start the engine and it was smoking blue (worn piston rings), after some persuasive negotiations I bought the engine for PHP 10,0000 (US$227 as of Jan.7 2011). I rebuilt the engine myself and I spent about PHP 20,000 (US$254) in parts and another 5,000 for labor, (I hired a tinsmith to customized the engine mounts bracket, air cleaner mount, transmission mount and AC compressor bracket re-made for this engine to fit the M115 once the Astron 80 used to sit in). It was completed in August 2009 and made about 1000 kms. since rebuild. Now, I spent a of bucks on engine rebuild and I'm saving up for body repair (it's rusted again after the engine swap in 1996). I garaged the car in my big brother's friend's parent's residence with big lot and able to find a descent spot to park in until I build a garage for it.

here's the 200's photo's:

took it up the mountains with my uncle some 500 kms. after the rebuild. I upgraded to 14-inch steel wheels(original COMMERZ) and covers from another W115 parts car.

This is M121 engine used to power the 200 (the photo from my fellow MB owner who also own a 200 but a '68)

Newly rebuilt M115 with original intake manifold

M115 with '79 W123 intake manifold (with direct engine shut-off valve and fresh air bleeder (bypass) valve next to it for improved emissions. I had problems with engine after running when shutting off and running crap so, went to the same junkshop and I found the W123 intake manifold just the W123 went into scrap and I was lucky they left it behind hehehe the welded area in the exhaust manifold was a hole due to heat and age).

The 280S:

I bought the 280S in May 2009 for 30,000 PHP (US$680) from my neighbor who is a widow, used to be her husband's car. After her husband died, her son used the car to school until he graduated in college in 2005, the car was unused since then. The money originally intended for my 200's body repair, but when she said to me that she'll have the car to be sold for scrap if no one will buy it, I felt so bad because it was well cared for when it was used and it had the engine rebuild in 1998 (I knew this because it was done in her house and I can clearly seen it when I passed by her house). When I brought the car home, I changed all fluids, some suspension parts, battery, points,condenser,plugs to it run descent. I spent a good 8000PHP on it and I used it as a replacement for my 200. It's still running great up to this day.

The 280S photos:

280S with 200

painted the grill black and replaced with new grill chrome strips

M110 engine with infamous SOLEX 4A1 carburetor

Last edited by Takernz; 01-07-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld Roldan. Please complete your profile as this will help members give you the most accurate answer to your questions. Location is also important when we need to help you find parts etc. This forum is for introductions only and all questions should be posted on the appropriate sub forum for your car.

At the bottom of the page you will find forum jump, click on this and view all the available sub forums.

Regards
Eric

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 08:03 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2011
W110 Fintail

Hi,

I am Tirso Padilla from Bacolod City. I have 3 W110 Fintails back home. I am currently assigned in Cebu. Can I ask for your number sir? My mobile # 09232808344.

thank you.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 05:38 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 64' 220SEc, 72' 300SEL 6.3, lots of parts
Hi I would like to possibly ship two or three cars to the Philippines. 2 W108 280SE, one W111 220SEb. I have Marcelina here to do communication She is here from Provence Cebu City. ang gosto mercedes too! babay salamat sayo

Brian O
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 11:09 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

W108 280SE, one W111 220SEb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostosh View Post
Hi I would like to possibly ship two or three cars to the Philippines. 2 W108 280SE, one W111 220SEb. I have Marcelina here to do communication She is here from Provence Cebu City. ang gosto mercedes too! babay salamat sayo
Sure, just give me a ring (09232808344) or email me @ tirsotirs@yahoo.com
thanks.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 11:10 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Roldan, where is your unit now? Is it for sale?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in