Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

C350/GLK V6 Engine questions?

12K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Audiophile_AU 
#1 ·
Hi guys/gals,

This is my first post and after searching for a while, I can't find what I'm looking for so I'm hoping I can be pointed in the right direction.

What I'm looking for is additional engine info for the current V6 engine in the C350/GLK and possibly other models I'm not aware of.

The website has the output hp, 24v, etc, but is fairly limited. What I would like to know is:
1. Is the engine interference?
2. Timing belt or chain? Service interval for belt or change?
3. Is there any additional info on the control system for the variable intake and exhaust cams? I can't find any cut-aways or diagrams.
4. Are 4-matic systems the same across the board? What is the bias? Ie 50/50 front to rear, something else?
5. Does this engine use direct-injection?
6. I noticed the 2011 C350 is uprated to 302hp from 269-ish. Anyone know how they accomplished this? Ie better ecu tune, larger displacement etc?

I've got plenty more questions, but if anyone knows where I could find specific info, I would greatly appreciate it. I've owned many different brands, but not a Mercedes yet, so I would like to know what I'm getting into. Currently I have an Audi, a BMW and an RX-7. I want to change up the Audi sooner than later as the maintenance is insane. My 20 year old rotary RX-7 is more reliable and needs far less maintenance than my 10 year old 2.8 V6 Audi. So I'm doing a lot of research.

Thanks in advance for any help!

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
Thanks for the info on timing chains, I appreciate that.

I understand that the 272 family of engine is used in many other cars, but are you saying that the engine used in the 2009-2010 C350 is the exact same as the one used in the 95-02 E-class? I assumed that naturally there would be older versions of the same family of engines, but not used in the exact state for over 15 years?

I did search that forum and checked the stickies and unfortunately could not find answers to my previous questions. I thought there may be a specific engine discussions on benzworld like on other car forums, but it looks like I'm out of luck. Thanks for the help though.

#4 ·
I heard that there will be upgrade in engines and the difference in HP is due to direct injection added to the engine.
There will be as well more HP for the C250. It will have same output like C300.
Very long lasting trouble free engine.
I know person who has 2006 ML350V6 with 200000kms very happy with it just regular maintenance.

#5 ·
Hi guys/gals,

5. Does this engine use direct-injection?
6. I noticed the 2011 C350 is uprated to 302hp from 269-ish. Anyone know how they accomplished this? Ie better ecu tune, larger displacement etc?
In the US the 2012 model C class and possibly other models that use the 350 v6 will be upgraded to direct injection. They are said to be rated at 302 hp.

Given that there are numerous models that use the 350, I assume that they will all be phased to the new config.

Along with the engine upgrade will be an upgrade to the 7 speed auto shifter. Haven't seen any details on the new trany yet, but a quicker, more positive manual gear selection would be appreciated.

#6 ·
You guys are right, it's the 2012 that is up to 302hp. So the current one is not direct-injected. Thanks for the info!!

@B200Turbo, thanks for the feedback on the engine. I do a lot of highway driving so I would love to get 200k miles out of a vehicle. At 100k miles on my A4, I've replaced almost every part on the car! Browse any Audi forums and you'll see that the majority of posts are about something broken.

#7 · (Edited)
The M272 was fitted with direct injection but this engine was never sent to the USA.

The engine coming in 2012 is a completely new engine, and is called M276. It's Mercedes' first 60-degree V6 and all will be direct injected. Since it's a brand new engine design, there is no reliability data.

The M272 engine arrived in the USA in 2005 in the SLK and in 2006 in the E-class. It was never installed in a W210 anywhere in the world. The earliest versions of the M272 were sometimes afflicted with excessive oil consumption or problems with the balancer shaft gear or problems with the variable cam drive solenoids. From 2007 on they should be all good.

Why yes, unlike GM, Mercedes never brags it's kept the same engine in production for 50 years.

#8 ·
Hi, Dark Flash:

The M272 engine x 722.9 transmission combo is a winner that, in C class RWD platforms, reach 175 mph though the electronic limit set at the factory is of 155 mph.

Not only the direct injection might be shown next month at the Detroit Auto Show (increased power to 302 HP and torque proportionally). Further, AMG is being groomed for a turbo version which may be interesting enough to make people forget BMW competitors performance.

Except for the Contis furnished with the car, my unit (European version from which the US C350 Luxury derived) is, so far, everything one is entitled to expect from Stuttgart. If there is a flaw, it might be having well updated software, and having a dealer worth working with. In this respect, you and I might be on the same page: I do all maintenance and repair work (including arguing with MB Argentina that the dealer is not using original materials, and requesting MB sources for what is recommended at Bevo-Daimler), and only relied on the dealer for warranty work.

Anyway there is plenty of the info you seek in the forum, but Star Tek and WIS are resources needed to get deep into these cars.

The bottom line, MB car condition is in direct proportion to wallet size. Not cheap, not expensive, just enjoyable.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I think I'm going to wait for direct injection before I buy, so I'll have to wait a year or two. Thanks lkchris!

@JoeVal, I don't know what Star Tek or WIS is, but as I've stated before on any of the other cars I've owned, I can readily find engine cutaways or other diagrams scanned out of the respective Factory Service Manuals. Other brand forums even have specific engine discussion forums, which can be pretty cool when vendors and shops start to post their build-ups and other engine secrets. I do own the Factory Service Manuals for all the other cars I own, but obviously I'm not going to buy the manual for a vehicle I may or may not buy.

Again, thanks for the input!

#11 ·
Some time ago there was a thread which published stuff from the MB training manuals. It has been mentioned in another, later, post as startek. I believe that if you are in the USA you can get free access, although you may have to enter your credit card number to 'prove' that you are in America (or at least have an American bank account :) )

Attached (I hope) is the introduction for the M272 engine, first introduced in the SLK circa 2004.
Its first incarnation had variable cam timing on all four cams, variable inlet length, adjusted to give a very wide flat torque curve and 200kW (268 hp). That made it eminently driveable in my 2005 C350 :)
The next incarnation had modified cam timing, the torque curve slanted upwards to a gentle maximum, and it had more output at higher revs.
The direct injection version has even more output, probably with an even 'peakier' torque curve and even higher revs.

DAMN - the upload limit for pdf is 1.91MB, the file is 5.1MByte!

Anyway, perhaps you can find the pdf in startek.

kind regards
David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.