C350/GLK V6 Engine questions? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 04:45 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 2005 C350, 2002 ML270CDI, 1969 230S, previously 2002 A160, 1985 380SEC ivory, 1983 380SEC grey
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by DarkFlash View Post
Hi guys/gals,

This is my first post and after searching for a while, I can't find what I'm looking for so I'm hoping I can be pointed in the right direction.

What I'm looking for is additional engine info for the current V6 engine in the C350/GLK and possibly other models I'm not aware of.

The website has the output hp, 24v, etc, but is fairly limited. What I would like to know is:
1. Is the engine interference?
2. Timing belt or chain? Service interval for belt or change?
3. Is there any additional info on the control system for the variable intake and exhaust cams? I can't find any cut-aways or diagrams.
4. Are 4-matic systems the same across the board? What is the bias? Ie 50/50 front to rear, something else?
5. Does this engine use direct-injection?
6. I noticed the 2011 C350 is uprated to 302hp from 269-ish. Anyone know how they accomplished this? Ie better ecu tune, larger displacement etc?

I've got plenty more questions, but if anyone knows where I could find specific info, I would greatly appreciate it. I've owned many different brands, but not a Mercedes yet, so I would like to know what I'm getting into. Currently I have an Audi, a BMW and an RX-7. I want to change up the Audi sooner than later as the maintenance is insane. My 20 year old rotary RX-7 is more reliable and needs far less maintenance than my 10 year old 2.8 V6 Audi. So I'm doing a lot of research.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Some time ago there was a thread which published stuff from the MB training manuals. It has been mentioned in another, later, post as startek. I believe that if you are in the USA you can get free access, although you may have to enter your credit card number to 'prove' that you are in America (or at least have an American bank account :-) )

Attached (I hope) is the introduction for the M272 engine, first introduced in the SLK circa 2004.
Its first incarnation had variable cam timing on all four cams, variable inlet length, adjusted to give a very wide flat torque curve and 200kW (268 hp). That made it eminently driveable in my 2005 C350 :-)
The next incarnation had modified cam timing, the torque curve slanted upwards to a gentle maximum, and it had more output at higher revs.
The direct injection version has even more output, probably with an even 'peakier' torque curve and even higher revs.

DAMN - the upload limit for pdf is 1.91MB, the file is 5.1MByte!

Anyway, perhaps you can find the pdf in startek.

kind regards
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: