Newbie obsessed with fixing up his 350se (w116) merc untill its perfect. - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Dec 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post Newbie obsessed with fixing up his 350se (w116) merc untill its perfect.

Hi guys,
I inherited an old 350se (w116) from my dad. He bought it new shortly after my birth in 1977 and I grew up with it. Needless to say it's very sentimental to me besides the fact that I believe its one the most beautiful cars ever built. It looks like its going to cost me a fortune to fix it up but I'll do it over the years to follow. It needs a respray and some small mechanical things. I just serviced it myself (first time ever I touch a car) and found it pretty frustrating to work without proper tools - still had fun and got alot of tips and advice on this forum.
Anyways, any tips or recommendations welcome. I live in Cape Town, South Africa.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 01:01 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 1999 E320, 1975 450SEL, 1979 280SE
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Welcome! I like the w116's. I have had a bunch of them. They are fairly easy to work on. Here in the US, we can usually take a class (adult education) at a local vocational tech or community collage. I recommend you do that, if you can. See if you can find an auto mechanical course. Usually, you can work on your own car during the course. I once did major body work on one of my cars by taking an auto body course. Had the benefit of a knowledgeable instructor and, got to use the high tech tools and equipment! Also, I recommend that you get a couple of good manuals for your car. There is a Haynes manual that covers your car. Lots of good photos and instructions. Good luck! Keep us up to date and visit the w116 forum.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Dec 2010
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
thanks for your message. I dont think we have such courses in SA, but thanks for the tip. I've also managed to get a workshop manual online which has already helped me. I also discovered some "how to" videos on you tube which has been immensely helpful - specifically the ones done by some american guy.... can't remember the name now.
All the best and stay in touch,
Kind greetings from sunny Cape Town,
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Outstanding Contributor
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld. Please complete your profile as this will help members give you the most accurate answer to your questions. Location is also important when we need to help you find parts etc. This forum is for introductions only and all questions should be posted on the appropriate sub forum for your car.

At the bottom of the page you will find forum jump, click on this and view all the available sub forums.

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one."
- George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: