LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
01 E320 Wagon Questions

I am throwing myself at the mercy of the forums for a little bit of advice. I am a brand new Mercedes Benz owner and new forum member.

I have been looking for an MB Wagon with 3rd row seating for quite some time. I got a call from a friend in the car business on Monday and he offered me a trade in for what he had in it. Here is what I got:

2001 E320 Wagon with 60,800 mi. The carfax indicated 2 owners (sale at 14K mi) regular maintenance at the original dealer and some minor body work on the drivers door.

I have many questions about what work I should take to a shop and what work I should try myself. I am fairly handy (I was a diesel mechanic in the Air Force). I am looking for a 150,000 to 200,000 mi ownership / 6 to 8 years for my wife. I have access to a trusted independent/non-dealer Benz shop close to me.

Here is what I have found so far on the car and some questions:

1. The bottom edge of the front windshield gasket/trim-the edge closest to the hood is cracking deteriorated. Is this common. What is a good replacement strategy (myself or shop) or should I leave it alone until it leaks.

2. The front passenger door does not lock. The inside knob does not actuate by power or hand. ( How hard is it to get the door panel off? Where can I get parts?

3. I only have on key/remote fob. Is this an OEM only part. How much? Where do I get it programmed?

4. The factory Navigation Sys only has one disk (#8). Are these for updates only? Is Ebay an OK source?

5. Any suggested initial preventative maintenance items other than Lube, Oil and Filter and a trans fluid check?

6. The buttons on the steering wheel (volume/menu, etc) have some sort of sticky, gooey deteriation of the finish or something. Is this common and what can I do about it.

7. The rear antenna, above the rear hatch seems to be broken off. Is this for the GPS only?

8. I need to get a rigid cargo carrier for some family travel (Yakima or Thule). Is there a big difference in the factory MB cross bars and the aftermarket Yakima / Thule products?

Should I be putting these questions somewhere else?

Thanks,
FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 03:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum and congratulation on new purchase.
Good news is that your model (W210) is having good group of enthusiast on this forum and 99% of issues with those cars are already covered. Go to the section and start with the stickies if you need detailed info.
Now here are quick answers.
1. The bottom edge of the front windshield gasket/trim-the edge closest to the hood is cracking deteriorated. Is this common. What is a good replacement strategy (myself or shop) or should I leave it alone until it leaks. >>>> the gutter deteriorate with sun exposure. Not a big deal to replace, but how the rest of the car looks?

2. The front passenger door does not lock. The inside knob does not actuate by power or hand. ( How hard is it to get the door panel off? Where can I get parts?>>>>> taking off the panel takes just couple of minutes. Good luck on the repair.

3. I only have on key/remote fob. Is this an OEM only part. How much? Where do I get it programmed? >>>>> Might be too late, but missing keys are not only costly ($250-350) but brings security concerns. Call back the dealer and make sure his mechanic doesn't know your address.

4. The factory Navigation Sys only has one disk (#8). Are these for updates only? Is Ebay an OK source?>>>> those systems suck as a new and now are outdated. Instead spending a fortune for disk replacements -buy aftermarket.

5. Any suggested initial preventative maintenance items other than Lube, Oil and Filter and a trans fluid check?>>>> go to W210 stickies

6. The buttons on the steering wheel (volume/menu, etc) have some sort of sticky, gooey deteriation of the finish or something. Is this common and what can I do about it.>>>> go to stickies as well.

7. The rear antenna, above the rear hatch seems to be broken off. Is this for the GPS only?>>>> i believe so. If you are not using GPS -you don't need it.

8. I need to get a rigid cargo carrier for some family travel (Yakima or Thule). Is there a big difference in the factory MB cross bars and the aftermarket Yakima / Thule products?>>>> The factory wagon bars are very strong, but they don't offer much attachments. For skis I was adding Thule bars with rack I already had. It is your choice to spend a fortune at MB, or go to Thule.
Should I be putting these questions somewhere else?>>> yes- W210 section.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 05:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T and others
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This is how the panel comes off
PeachPartsWiki: Replacing the Front Door Panel
The remotes come from MB code to your car, they need to see the car and you w/DL about $200, there is nothing you can do to escape. The shop can remove the existing code.
I would drain refill brakes, trans etc.
The roof top antenna is for the CTEL and the GPS puck is in the cover, MB wants $100 or so for a gasket and antenna cover. do a search on 2108270031KIT, which will get you a gasket and rubber whip cover.
The sticky buttons have been cleaned by some people, MB sell a replacement, few hundred.
The standard bars are flimsy, the roof itself is also flimsy. MB crossbars with locking cables are pretty ugly, expensive and the adapters are also expensive. I have experienxce with both, and ws able to sell one set (MB Thule type) I purchased and have used the flimsy bars that were standard with the prior to 01 cars and would not attach any thing heavy the soft carrier bag would work.
Check the bottoms of your doors for rust.
The car is pretty good, I have 80K since new, with no major issues other than window regulators, engine pulley, directional switch.

It is not what my 85 wagon was, but it is better than my short lived ML.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in