Airbags deployed vehicle engine disabled after crash..... - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ok so ive had a star machine hooked up and i get these faults:

AB AIRBAG -F
DR SIDE SAM DRIVER SIGNAL Acquisution and actuaton module -f
REAR SAM rear signal acquisition -f
OCP overhead control panel -f
UCP upper control panel -f
LCP lower control panel -f
IC instrument cluster -f
ASSYST active service system -f
SCM MRM steering column module -f
PTS parktronic system -f
AQW audio 20 with integrated gateway -f
DCM FL door control module -f
DCM FR door control module -f

So obviously the major fault is the airbag module, My question now is it obviously needs re coding(or replacing?), can me and my friend do this ourself with the star machine? if yes what are the steps to take to do this? If one would be kind enough to guide. Would like to understand this software better.

Also any other thoughts on the above much appriciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 01:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J4GG4 View Post
Ok so ive had a star machine hooked up and i get these faults:

AB AIRBAG -F
DR SIDE SAM DRIVER SIGNAL Acquisution and actuaton module -f
REAR SAM rear signal acquisition -f
OCP overhead control panel -f
UCP upper control panel -f
LCP lower control panel -f
IC instrument cluster -f
ASSYST active service system -f
SCM MRM steering column module -f
PTS parktronic system -f
AQW audio 20 with integrated gateway -f
DCM FL door control module -f
DCM FR door control module -f

So obviously the major fault is the airbag module, My question now is it obviously needs re coding(or replacing?), can me and my friend do this ourself with the star machine? if yes what are the steps to take to do this? If one would be kind enough to guide. Would like to understand this software better.

Also any other thoughts on the above much appriciated.
Didn't you get any of the codes read, just the quick test result? SRS control unit would have been interesting, others not that important as you say.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
Didn't you get any of the codes read, just the quick test result? SRS control unit would have been interesting, others not that important as you say.
You mean the exact faults with the srs module? if so i can hook it up tomorrow and tell you exactly whats failing..
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
When you replaced the airbags (how many had operated?) did you also replace the associated ignition squib which would have fired the airbag?

There are many (R12/1 - R12/17) that are all routed into the Restraint System Control Module (N2/7)
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyhole View Post
When you replaced the airbags (how many had operated?) did you also replace the associated ignition squib which would have fired the airbag?

There are many (R12/1 - R12/17) that are all routed into the Restraint System Control Module (N2/7)
The passenger seat and passenger roof airbags deployed, there the only ones i replaced. I'll put a full list of faults up from the srs im pretty sure there was a fault for every airbag inc driver seat airbag, steering wheel airbag..ect even though they wasnt deployed
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Ok guys, star hooked up again.. Opened up AIRBAG faults and here is what i have...

So Before the test i replaced the passenger airbag AND the roof curtain airbag. It mentions no other faults with AB system apart from coding is faulty, as mentioned would happen from a member on this thread. So can i code myself using the initial startup feature? If yes what should i expect it to ask me/what will it do..ect? Im guessing i cannot.. but in which case, could i use original srs module or should i purchase a brand new one?

By the way last time i used star i erased the faults but there back again.(ie.. pass airbags resistance too low/high) why did they come back if i replaced the airbags?.

Last edited by J4GG4; 12-24-2010 at 06:07 PM.
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 12:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Ok guys, star hooked up again.. Opened up AIRBAG faults and here is what i have...

So Before the test i replaced the passenger airbag AND the roof curtain airbag. It mentions no other faults with AB system apart from coding is faulty, as mentioned would happen from a member on this thread. So can i code myself using the initial startup feature? If yes what should i expect it to ask me/what will it do..ect? Im guessing i cannot.. but in which case, could i use original srs module or should i purchase a brand new one?

By the way last time i used star i erased the faults but there back again.(ie.. pass airbags resistance too low/high) why did they come back if i replaced the airbags?.
Did you switch ignition on while you were working with the car and one of the airbags disconnected?

There could be a trick that you could try but you should get rid of the fault codes first. There must be a current issue with the front passenger airbag. The airbag connectors are typically such that the aribag side gets short-circuited when the connector is unplugged (either from the control unit or from the airbag itself). Perhaps one of the connectors is not installed properly to release the protective short-circuit (the short-circuit is intended to disable the airbag from firing up from static electricity discharges etc.).
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
Did you switch ignition on while you were working with the car and one of the airbags disconnected?

There could be a trick that you could try but you should get rid of the fault codes first. There must be a current issue with the front passenger airbag. The airbag connectors are typically such that the aribag side gets short-circuited when the connector is unplugged (either from the control unit or from the airbag itself). Perhaps one of the connectors is not installed properly to release the protective short-circuit (the short-circuit is intended to disable the airbag from firing up from static electricity discharges etc.).
Sorry been a while our star software corrupted, but we have it all sorted again. Fresh install from dvd.

Anyway i reseated the passenger seat airbag connector and ran a retest and it found the fault again. I cleared faults and ive ran a quick test 3 times and it hasnt picked the faults back up, even the airbag control unit coding faulty fault didnt pick up..(not sure if you have to wait a certain time before retesting?) Also when i did click initial coding it says the airbag control module is already interlocked and parameterization is not possible. Does this mean its unlockable? and i need a new airbag control unit?

But anyway i have one more major fault (-F) and it is short circuit on all glow plugs. It says check the resistance for each plug.. but im guessing the CDI control unit has the fault and not the plugs?

Last edited by J4GG4; 12-29-2010 at 02:50 PM.
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 05:25 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Anyway i reseated the passenger seat airbag connector and ran a retest and it found the fault again. I cleared faults and ive ran a quick test 3 times and it hasnt picked the faults back up, even the airbag control unit coding faulty fault didnt pick up..(not sure if you have to wait a certain time before retesting?) Also when i did click initial coding it says the airbag control module is already interlocked and parameterization is not possible. Does this mean its unlockable? and i need a new airbag control unit?
So you mean you got rid of all fault codes, even the control unit coding? There is a means to unlock the control unit via special functions but I doubt it would help here because of the crash data that would have to be cleared with other means.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 05:48 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Additional information

I don't have precise data for your W219, but here is the WIS page on the function of the Restraint System control unit (N2/7) for a W211, which you may find useful. This is located beneath the tunnel.

Additionally, I have read that there are 2 Frontal Acceleration sensors located on the radiator cross member. B48/1 (US drivers side), and B48/2 (US pass side). These should be replaced after a head-on collision, if the mounting area metal is deformed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf W211 restraint system.pdf (488.8 KB, 710 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in