Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1978 300D PROJECT

596 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  eric242340 
#1 ·
I brought a 300D because I wanted a classic car as a 2nd car but I didn't want something that got poor mileage, and I wanted something unique.

I have been restoring vintage mopeds and scooters and realized that I have mastered that. I am a good mechanic and have brought some old relics back to life. Now I want to learn about diesels. I found a 1978 southern car, no rust, 161,000 miles. The interior is in great shape and the paint is faded but a waxing will make it look good. The heater and shutoff solenoid, as well as the auto locks, were not functioning. Reading up on some posts here, I found the broken brown vac line and fixed it. Now I need to figure out a few more things and do some maintenance on it to get it in great shape.
Some of the issues that I have, aren't big. The car runs rough at low rpm's, and doesn't idle well. I have to adjust the manual dash idle knob as the car warms up. If I let off of the pedal, the engine still revs for a while. If I put it in Neutral I can see the that the revs are high. Eventually it dies down. The steering box is leaking PS fluid but it is not from the hoses or the shafts.

#2 ·
Welcome to Benzworld

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.