LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
ESP BAS LIGHT HELP!

I have a 2001 ML320 that is giving me a headache. The ESP BAS light keeps coming on everyday when I drive to work as I go around a specific corner (car is at about 60 degrees at this point and I do brake). This makes it so that I cannot apply gas to the car to drive and I have to pull over and restart the car in order to keep driving. Other times this happens is when i am driving on the freeway at 60 mph and as i come off the freeway and slow the light will come on and i have to pull over to restart. The car desperately needed tires so I assumed that was the issue. Had them replaced and alas car was not fixed. Tried the Left to right "reset" and this did not work. Took my car to a Mercedes dealer and told them I had researched on the internet that everyone fixes the brake switch first but it's usually not the issue. His response was we'll find the problem the codes will tell us what to do. Sure enough he fixed the brake switch. I picked up the car and it came right on as i got off the freeway. Took it back to the dealer and all he did was clear out the code (which i am assuming they did last time w/the brake switch repair) and he asked that i pick up the car and drive it around to see if it's fixed. DO THEY NOT TEST DRIVE CARS ANYMORE??? The light will come on within 5 minutes if it isn't fixed. Anyways I'm venting at this point. PLEASE PLEASE help me with any ideas that have worked on your ML or a friends or anything. I want this over with!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 04:29 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
I suggest that you read through this thread (and the links) to get an appreciation of the issue.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209...indicator.html

Post #3 refers to another thread where I list the functions that can affect the ESP/BAS system. It could be any of those listed, but as the fault occurs on a tight bend, why not consider the lateral acceleration sensor (B24/15) or the steering angle sensor (N49)

I realise the the other post is for W209 CLK, but your W163 has the same design in this area.

Of course the first thing to eliminate is mismatched tire wear & sizes. That is a known cause of problems here.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 05:12 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
are you sure you are taking it to the benz dealer???? the dealer has to test drive cars after repairs to verify there fixed.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2010
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
@ Keyhole, So what you're saying is it could be one of a bunch of things and could turn really expensive. Is there a way to know or do they simply have to go down the list until the problem it fixed?

@Streetglower, yes it's a legit Mercedes dealer.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyJ View Post
Is there a way to know or do they simply have to go down the list until the problem it fixed?
That's what the diagnostic codes are there for. That, plus a bit of experience with clues, cuts down the search for an experienced tech. Why don't you suggest that the MB senior tech sits beside you while you demonstrate how this fault occurs on the road?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in