FWD vs. RWD, the Great Debate - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

View Poll Results: What is your preffered winter drivetrain?
Rear Wheel Drive 5 45.45%
Front Wheel Drive 1 9.09%
All Wheel Drive 5 45.45%
Four Wheel Drive 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: '11 Santa Fe LTD V6 AWD-Navi, '99 CLK 320 (traded for family mover), '96 200SX (SOLD) :(
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Than for really deep powder IMHO nothing beats screw drive vehicles.
That thing is crazy. I didn't think that it would pull anything based on the design, but I guess the two sleds worth of logs disproves that. I was surprised that it had suspension.
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 03:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Originally Posted by MGD View Post
I feel that a lot of people have the mentality that FWD is the only way to go for winter because of auto maker marketing making it appear that way while having a hidden agenda to push a drive train that was cheaper to build saving themselves a buck (auto makers).

That's pretty accurate.

I've even seen the likes of GM proclaim that FWD creates better fuel economy.

Kent Christensen
'07 GL320CDI
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I answered FWD since 2 of my cars are those. We don't get much snow/ice here but I have found both of these do quite well when we do get the sloppy stuff. My E320 is RWD with all season tires and it does not leave the carport when conditions are slippery.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: '11 Santa Fe LTD V6 AWD-Navi, '99 CLK 320 (traded for family mover), '96 200SX (SOLD) :(
(Thread Starter)
There's a few things I'm beginning to notice here (not just from this thread), mostly due to my ignorance for the most part, is that depending what you were taught to drive on makes a big difference in peoples opinions on this subject and that peoples views or experience to what winter conditions are can vary greatly.

I was taught to drive on rear wheel drive vehicles, starting off with tractors (yah, that's right, the ones you look at funny and they flip over) and different other heavy equipment. And as kids we started driving trucks by sitting on a lap and doing the steering and when we were tall enough we would drive the trucks out of the bush with the lumber since we weren't strong enough to be of real help otherwise. My first car was a mid-engine RWD car, the Fiero (cool as sh!t when you're 16, not so much now, lol), and winter tires back then wasn't as high tech as today.

I know some people will be saying "Oh my God, what kind of up bringing is that!", so before that happens I'll say it like this: It was a way of life up here, that's how things were done. It's a shame that it's more frowned upon
these days, but I learned a lot growing up this way, and no I'm not hill-billy today, well not completely

Anyway, it's nice to see people's point of view on this subject. Enough of my rant for now, pretty tired from clearing the driveway from all the snow we got this weekend.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: