LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Interior Noise Level

A few days ago I purcchased my first MB, a 2007 C230 Sport Black on Black with only 20,550 miles. I love everything about this car except for the interior noise level. I expected a Mercedes to be very quite but even though it rides very smooth you can really hear the roar of the tires on the highway. I also have a 2002 Toyato Camery and I think the interior noise level is quiter in it than the Mercedes. Is this common for this model car or could there br some other problem causing the high noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 07:00 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 300CE-24, W204 C220 CDI, W210 E55 AMG, W124 300TE, W163 ML270 CDI
Send a message via MSN to Mcmerc01
You bought the sport pack, so its equipped with a sport orientated suspension set up, sports tires and I think that should mean you have a grille emblem instead of the standing emblem. The Noise will (mostly) depend on the tires installed, I believe depending on the country, you get different tires which should deliver same or similar levels of performance. Its also possible that the tires have been changed by the original owner.

Take a look at your tires, go to a tire shop and try some out, better yet go for a more expensive brand and you WILL be rewarded.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I live in the southern USA and the current tires are Michelin Pilot Primacy front 225/45 R17 91W rear 245/40 R17 91W. I also thought it may have been the tires but these appear to be fairly expensive low profile tires and there in very good condition. Has anyone else had A simular issue?
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 07:57 PM
BenzWorld Member

The Primacy is supposed to be a 'reduced noise' sports tire, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Try the BF Goodrich g-Force Sport, they are good performance tires, they should be in your size. I don't know if you can get them there you would have to check that.

Other tires you might want to look at are the Michelin Pilot Sport - The C220 I have rides on these, the noise control is quite good.

All I can say is, before splashing money on a new set of tires, try and determine why there is such loud noise from the tires, they aren't the quietest tires in the market, even for a sport tire but if I were you, I would shop around for an expert's opinion (although they may try to sway you into a purchase with the wrong or misleading information)

The tire shop I go to lets me test the tires if I am seriously considering between a few. I don't know if you could be so lucky though.

Hope that helps. IMO 80% of the roar is due to the tires, the 15% would be road surface and 5% to suspension geometry. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 09:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 1993 190E 2.6, 1990 300SEL, 1992 300SE, 1992 400E, 1987 190E 2.6 murdered by my brother.
The Michelin Primacy MXV4 is their all season touring tire so the performance is not really there. I dont think they made a Pilot Primacy. Try the Pilot PE2. Very quite and handles awesome in wet and dry weather. Problem is with high performance tires is that they wear down quickly and when they are worn down, you will hear a loud rumbling noise.

If you want high performance you can try Bridgestone Serenitys. They are quiet and last a very long time and also perform very well. Im running that on my S class and its very quiet. I just changed to Michelin Primacy MXV4s on my 190E 2.6 and it is much much quieter than the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position RE960s. They got quite loud after 5000 miles. I got 29,000 miles out of them, but the ride was quiet harsh and the rumbling noise drove me nuts! I did the Las Vegas to San Francisco trip with them for 14 times. The noise is definitely stressful during the trip. I had Michelins before and now am back to using them. Check out Tirerack.com. Lots of tires to choose from and people rate them too. Remember your Mercedes is a heavy car so you need to check the load rating on the tire to make sure it can support it. 91 and higher is better.

There is one rule...there are no rules!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 12:10 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Tire Noise

We bought a new 2007 E350 - our first Mercedes. The car seemed quiet - the doors shut like bank vault BUT the road noise!!

At low speeds around the neighborhood the car is silent. On the highway you have to turn the radio up to hear well. I determined it is the tires!

I an disappointed with the car for this. The car is 31/2 years old and has 58,000 miles on it. The tire noise has been there since the first day.

Perhaps this is an incentive to move up to the S class. Of course that is out of the question - too expensive.

Our next car may very well not be a Mercedes.

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government"
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 12:19 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Around 95% of road noise complaints we get are tyre related. That is not only the C Class.

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 02:34 AM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by george60 View Post
We bought a new 2007 E350 - our first Mercedes. The car seemed quiet - the doors shut like bank vault BUT the road noise!!

At low speeds around the neighborhood the car is silent. On the highway you have to turn the radio up to hear well. I determined it is the tires!

I an disappointed with the car for this. The car is 31/2 years old and has 58,000 miles on it. The tire noise has been there since the first day.

Perhaps this is an incentive to move up to the S class. Of course that is out of the question - too expensive.

Our next car may very well not be a Mercedes.
You determined it was the tires as the culprits of the road noise, yet you blame the car? Unfortunately Mercedes are at the top in terms of NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness) and you will be very hard pressed to find otherwise.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 11:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Might be a good time to invest in new tires and perhaps sound deadening/insulation materials. It'll significantly cut down on road and tire noise as well as help the sound system perform better.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
My tires are Pilot Primacy's and they appear to have about half the tread left on them. As far as deadening insulation I would think Mercedes took care of that.

I think I will start checking with tire dealers in this area and try to find some new rubber minus the roar. Since I've only had the car for a week maybe the dealership I bought it from will give me some help.

Thanks for all the suggestions guy's you've been helpful.

I love my C230 and If I can get rid of the tire roar I'll love it even more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in