LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Which one?

Hello everyone i am badhan from Bangladesh. i have just decided to buy a mercedes benz. i like w124 and w210 both. and i am a bit confused to buy the perfect one for me. as i am only 22 years old i dont know which one will suit me i also need to know the pros and cons of the both cars. please help me and sugest me to select the one. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
no one replys...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 06:18 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
They are both excellent cars - the W124 has a better build quality, and has less electrics, but you will be happy with which ever one you choose. I have a 1992 W124 300D and wouldn't part with her she is GREAT
Jon
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
which one is longer and widther? what does mean 'better build quality'? which one is comfortable?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 09:59 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhan View Post
which one is longer and widther? what does mean 'better build quality'? which one is comfortable?
I think if you do a brief internet search, you'll find the dimensions of each. However, being in East Pakistan, I can't help but think you'd be better served with a donkey, which would have the added advantage of being able to swim (sort of) and thus might survive your country's annual devastating floods.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 10:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
We have both in the family and both are great cars on their own. Our W124 is 23 years old and still looks good and performs great.
W210 is way more comfortable car and if you go to the section you will find the post suggesting this is best Mercedes model ever. I like it, so does my wife. She did like W211 better, but those cars cost pretty money.
Before you consider W210 check for potential for the repairs. It is first generation of fully computerized cars and in US took almost a decade for mechanics to learn how to approach such an animal. Too often they did it on customer wallet.
That said, I prize W210 section on this forum as the most active and the best organized group of enthusiast available. All common problems are already covered and organized in stickies, so if you are DIY like myself you can deal with all the sensor glitches without leaving arm and leg at the stealers.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Kajtek1. then shall i go for w124? because in our country repairing would be a problem. but W210 is gorgeous. do u think W210 suits a boy like me of 22 years old? i need suggestion.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 03:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hi Badhan, you may note that most users here are in the US, tho not all of course as we are truly a global family, so your posting came up in the overnight/morning hours. We all needed to get our coffee before responding.

Yes, the W210 would suit a young man better as it is more updated and stylish, but as stated it has more electronic systems to contend with. Another advantage is that it will have more updated safety features, more airbags, better braking systems and suspension, and the like. You did say "because in our country repairing would be a problem" which may mean the simplified, older W124 is better suited to you for practical reasons.

The W124 is an older car and the age/mileage alone may mean that more mechanical parts are worn out and may need replaced. Of course, replacing those parts can be done by mechanics who are "old school" and perhaps more familiar with these classic Benzes than their newer, fully electronic cousins.

The best advice is to go and drive each car and see what speaks to you. I was considering a W203 but chose a certified pre-owned W202 instead after driving one. Simply by looking at the cars, I never would have guessed that I would prefer the older model, but I remain content and fully satisfied with my choice. Let us know your decision and share pictures once you have added one to your stable.

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra

Last edited by DirectLA; 11-29-2010 at 03:10 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 07:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2009
Send a message via AIM to Benznoob26
being in bangladesh you might have a harder time getting parts. the w124 is old, a lot of things will be rotting, another guy mentioning it flooding a lot there is probably a guarantee on a +20 year old car it's very likely
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 08:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhan View Post
Thanks Kajtek1. then shall i go for w124? because in our country repairing would be a problem. but W210 is gorgeous. do u think W210 suits a boy like me of 22 years old? i need suggestion.
Well... each culture is different. Few years ago when our oldest son was in college, driving red Mitsubishi 3000, I offered him W124 with 2.5l diesel. I bought the car for business and not needing it anymore- offered it to my son, who was about 22 at the time. His answer was "Mercedes is for old people". The truth is that coming home for vacations he was borrowing 32 mpg diesel for those 240 miles Saturday nights with friends, leaving gas-guzzling Mitsubishi on the driveway.
That didn't stop him to accept college graduation gift in the form of ML320
My youngest is driving the present W124, what I bought when he got rear ended in his red Audi. Didn't ask him for the opinion
Now on serious note, even I like W210 way better, not having mechanics qualified in newer car electronics -W124 is easier bet. Should be way cheaper as well?

Last edited by Kajtek1; 11-29-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in