post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2010
Vehicle: Dont own one yet looking at 06 and 08 E350's
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re-Post I need an answer by Monday 06 Vs 08 E350

Becoming a new MB owner and have looked at 2 cars yesterday.
An 06 E350 and an 08.
Mileage difference is 3k more on the 06. 06 Has Navi and Heated seats.
08 ride feels smoother with a better brake response.
Neither was presented to me as having a "sport pkg".
I really liked the upgrades in the 06 but my concern is that I felt the road more through the steering column and floor on the 06, there was a definite "lurch" in the transmission around gear 2 or 3 and the breaks required more pressure, lastly the seats feel a bit less comfortable too.
The MB sales agent of the 06 swears there is no "significant" changes in suspension between the 2 cars nor the seating, he will look into the rough ride and transmission.
06 has Michelin tires 08 has Pirelli's
I have scheduled a return to both dealers on Monday so could use some advice
Looking forward to my first MB.
Many thanks
LTCLV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 08:25 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2006
I can't tell you which car will be the right choice as I have never driven the '08, but I can give you my impressions regarding ride, handling and road noise between my 06' and my just acquired '11. The '06 definitely displayed alot more road noise and the suspension was not quite as calm as in the new car. Example, RR tracks, pot holes and simply poor road conditions transferred substantially more to the steering wheel on my '06. My '06 did seem to brake more moderately (on the '11 I find myself having to brake harder as I approach a stop light or such rather than even braking throughout the stopping event). My '06 did not have Navi or Comand and those are features I really like in my new car. You may want to think hard about giving those up for the more current model as they are certainly worthwhile features. Especially if there is built in bluetooth.

I really did like my 06' it felt a bit lighter and more cat-like when I wanted it to be. The new car feels a bit larger and not quite as nimble but honestly, I haven't really had the chance to drive very aggressively yet.

One thing for sure, I don't like the paddle shifters as well as the center console shifter. Something I will probably get used to but a left hand to downshift and right hand to upshift just feels clunky having both hands on the wheel after several years of having my right hand on the center shifter for both up and downshifts. I think they should have made the paddles to both up and downshift, forward up and pull back to shift down.

Anyway, sorry for the long reply but I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. Go with your GUT, it is usually right and enjoy whichever choice you make.

Dan
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 09:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Maybe you don't know those are both W211 and there is a dedicated forum for those? Scroll down from here and look in the sedans section. Good luck with whichever car you choose.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 10:15 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 2013 SL550 Grey/ Red/Black Ash wood with every option
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
PURCHASING ADVICE

LTCLV & Danzio, please take the time to fill out your profiles with location, model, and body style. Of course LT doesn't have his MB yet, however the reason for the info is important. If and when you have a real problem, there might be a MB tech or more informed forum member living nearby. Model is Important because of the various engines used world wide. Body style is important because, for instance some items are more difficult to take apart on a wagon as opposed to a sedan.
LT, you don't state whether or not the '08 is a certified pre-own, although I hope it is. The braking difference you feel is because the '06 is brake-by-wire, and I think the '08 is back to conventional system. It sounds like you might be in a a hurry to purchase. Personally, I would be looking at the newer car. Back in the end of '08 I began looking for an 04-06 E500 4matic wagon. I researched it for months and read all I could about it. I finally found the "one" at a Herb Chamber's Lexus dealer in Sharon, Mass. Long story short they ended up selling the car on me after I was approved and gave them a credit card number. Well, forget that part of the story, the important part is that after months of LOOKING, I found a close to fully optioned car. The E500 had 23k, Xenons, Keyless Go, Heated Steering Wheel, and some kind of ventilated/ massage seat option. The E500 has heated seats and navigation standard. So what I'm trying to convey is that there are real nice options available on these cars and maybe you should search a little more and find the "one". As nice as the '08 might be, I wouldn't want a MB without factory navigation, and heated seats. You have to see if the car has a P1 or P2 package or however the options were designated. The P2 might make it a little bit more money, but you'll have all the goodies. This will also make it more valuable when you resell the car. Also keep in mind the inherent safety of a 4matic. 4matic is the only way to go. You're looking for advice on the purchase so I'm telling you all this because I wouldn't want you to buy the car, and 3 or 4 months down the road and after reading more online reviews and forum info, you realize that you're car is lacking options that you would have liked to have. We go through life only once, so why not buy the best and be happy. Please let us know what you do. Happy Holidays................Thor

1971 350SL 4-speed stick- sold
1979 300CD- sold
1979 450SL (Euro)- sold
1985 300D- sold
1989 560SL- sold
1994 E320 wagon- sold
1995 SL500- 46,000 mi.- sold
2004 Land Rover Discovery- sold
2009 SL550- Silver Arrow- 26,275 miles- sold
2013 SL550-
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 10:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As much as I hate to say it, you should go for the newer car.

The '06 probably puts that engine in the range of those early production engines that could have balancer shaft or cam adjuster solenoid problems and you don't want to face that out of warranty. Warranties on '06 models are of course over, but you'll have 2 years left on the '08 warranty.

Otherwise it appears to me that this "facelift" by Mercedes was mostly decontenting in the name of covering the costs of phone wiring and Sirius wiring as standard equipment.

I'm surprised you prefer the brake pedal feel of the newer car, however, as I sure don't like it compared to our previous '06.

And, I'd expect the newer car to have larger wheels, this almost always meaning poorer ride. Check the wheel sizes and check everything is original equipment.

Mostly however, if you want options like Navigation, phone wiring, etc., get a car that already has it, as dealer retrofit is very expensive. A salesman's promise of "phone wiring" is meaningless until he shows you the connector.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 11:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Navi should not be a factor in deciding the purchase. The Navi disc that comes with the used car is old with some out dated road info. There's a chance that one day, that out dated road info will cause trouble to your travel. New disc costs $$$$. With the same money, you can buy several portable GPS units.
What are their prices? 08 is worth more to buy.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2010
Vehicle: Dont own one yet looking at 06 and 08 E350's
(Thread Starter)
Thank you! 06 Vs 08

My profile is updated and Wow! Thank you all very much for the feedback. Very valuable things to consider. The 08 is priced at 27,998 @ Carmax (firm price) and the 06 is from a Mercedes dealer is listed at 25,995 and after my down and so forth will be around 22,404 and they will throw in a Platinum Mercedes warranty for 3/36K. The 08 is a P1 and the 06 is a P2.

Incidentally a friend who I sold a nice foreclosure home to and who works at a Mercedes dealership as a Service Consultant directed me to a full loaded
08 for 29K he spotted at another dealership nearby. NAVI, GPS, iPod, heated seats, Mirrors, etc 7 Spok rims cant tell from pic type of tire though. I think on the original ) that the Perelli's might have also affected the ride.

I wont know until Monday if it's avail or if I can test drive it. Of course I will ask for a lower price based on the ones I have in hand. My 08 Lincoln MKX SUV is in Excellent Condition and Carmax offered to buy it @ almost 2000 over what I owe on it. Nice!

Very excited about getting a MB, but will be cautious and smart about it. Definitely will take whatever I buy to a MB dealer for inspection.

Side note found out Carmax's Extended warranty "Max Care" is administered by CNA National Warranty Corporation
4150 N. Drinkwater Blvd. #400
Scottsdale, AZ 85251
(800) 345-0191
(480) 941-1626
and I have asked for a quote. On all 3 cars...leaning towards the 08 now thanks again.
LTCLV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in