LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
rough running 1987 260E 2.6L

Hello, I wonder if someone can help out. The car is a 1987 260E 2.6L engine. Recently starting to have weird problem, worrisome enough that it is garaged now and not taken on the road anymore.

When cold in the morning the engine starts fine, runs fine. Then as the engine warms up (15minutes later) it starts to run really rough, and the exhaust is all black such that it would leave the pavement underneath it black with sooth too.
When this conditions is reached, if I put some load (pull the throttle to up RPM) on the engine and release the load (let go of throttle), the engine would stumble a bit and shuts off, then I can't restart the car at all, it would crank and crank but the engine won't restart. Come back in a few hours, the car would restart, and the whole procedure can be repeated

You can see why it's scary and not recommended to drive this until the problem is fixed. Say I stop at the red light, the idle will go up and down and up and down and scares the hell out of me, sometimes it would just stop and wont start again. Luckily I made it home and now keeps the car in the parking lot until I can fix the problem.

I started to fix it by first replacing with a new set of spark plug. Didn't help. Next? maybe replace the distributor/rotor set?

I am suspicious of some temperature related issue. Would a bad temperature sensor cause this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 02:42 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2012
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rough Runner

I'm was having the same problem. I took off the air filter to find a tube had been melted through. Not sure exactly which one, but it is a small cream colored hose that runs from where the dash is to down behind the air filter. I patched that and have been running it in park and drive off and on for a few days now. It hasn't died yet, but the idle still goes up and down more than i like. When driving around town, i am still terrified that it will die on me again. So I am also looking for a little bit of help with this.

I hope this helps you out a little bit.

Photoz
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 08:24 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 300sel W109, 280S 70 , 220s 62. 230 66. Lancia Flavia 63.Pininfarina
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
It seems the cold start system is not shutting off as the engine warms up and flooding up the engine with over fueling . R
Remove the connector from the injector and check .if it continues to over fuel,if so likely the cold start injector is leaking all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in