Car's computer system died on fwy; couldnt use turn signals, error mesagges, pls help - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 2003 Mercedes CLK320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Car's computer system died on fwy; couldnt use turn signals, error mesagges, pls help

I was driving to work today and all of a sudden my radio went out and I got all these messages such as ; ESP not working, ABS not working, tele-aid not working etc. The scariest part was that my turn signals weren't working either on the fwy so I couldn't change lanes. Then I went through the menu and I went to "audio" and adjusted it and it worked again. It was scary though!!

Does anyone have a clue what was wrong with my car??? Do you think it's the batter? Cause the first message that popped up was the battery sign, but after that i received a plethora of error messages.

I have also had an issue with the keyless remote not opening my doors at time, forcing me to use the metal key. It's on and off. Not sure if that is related.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Have the battery tested. When they start going south all sorts of strange things can happen.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 09:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
What MM said, The ABS and ESP are known to come on at low voltage.
Question is what cost low voltage? Battery or alternator failure alone should not have the effect since those thing back up each other at least for some time.
The only explanation for sudden voltage drop that went away would be big short draining the power.
Since that is safety issue, I would go over all big electrical wires with magnifying glass.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 08:44 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
>>all of a sudden my radio went out and I got all these messages such as ; ESP not working, ABS not working, tele-aid not working etc.
Which of the followings may explain the above symptoms?
a) Battery
b) Alternator
c) Loose wires
d) Top secret military EMF experiment
e) UFO
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I called mbenz roadside assistance, they tested the battery and said it's showing 12 volts instead of 14 so it could be the alternator or regulator.

Normally, I would take it to this independent mechanic specializing in benz that i trust. he would have tested what was wrong with it for FREE, but it's 30 miles from my work and I don't know if my car would have made it there. So i had no choice but to take my car to the Benz dealer to have it looked into where they charge $100 just for the test! Reason is because I live around 20 miles away from work and I needed a loaner car. I don't get off work till 5 and I would not have enough time to drive to my mechanic and go to enterprise rent a car since they close at 6!

I have NO ONE to drive me to work (around 20 miles each way), I had no choice but to go to the dealer who will charge me around $400 more than mechanic I know, but I needed a loaner car and if i didn't have one I wouldn't be able to get to work.

If it's the regulator Benz dealer will charge me around $300 and if it's alternator probably around $800. The regular import mechanic would have done it for $150 but I can't risk my waiting until the weekends and having my turn signals not working on the freeway.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Benz left a message on my vm, to replace/fix the voltage regulator is $388 and if it's the alternator it will cost $990. I am going to have my mechanic take care of it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 12:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hi Jackie, you may wish to familiarize yourself with hand signals for turns and lane changes should you find yourself in this situation again. Basically extend your left arm straight out to indicate "left" and straight up bent at the elbow to indicate a "right". Bent straight down indicates a stop. Of course other drivers may not be familiar with these signals in this day and age so use caution, but at very least you are getting their attention and these signals are legal so that will prevent you from receiving a ticket. Also, MB provides a free tow to their dealership within 30-miles so you could also simply pull over somewhere safe and wait for them. This is a service they offer to ANY MB owner for ANY car, regardless of age, mileage, warranty status, etc.

Finally, I was under the impression that Enterprise delivers rental vehicles to your location free of charge, at least according to their commercials, which would allow you to take your troubled Benz to the mechanic of your choice. I know it's difficult to always think things through as thoroughly as we might prefer when we're faced with challenges involving our cars, I am guilty as well, but I hope these suggestions will help in the future.

Good luck with your car.

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
If my car's turn signals don't work on the freeway, I'd rather maneuver the car, speed up slow down squeeze in or out get to the right. I will not stick my arm out the open window at 70mph.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 03:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvis View Post
If my car's turn signals don't work on the freeway, I'd rather maneuver the car, speed up slow down squeeze in or out get to the right. I will not stick my arm out the open window at 70mph.
Fair enough but luckily for us, Mercedes has appointed every vehicle they make with an exotic but little-known device called a "brake pedal." It helps to slow the vehicle to a more reasonable speed for undertaking such adventurous maneuvers.

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in