BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2010
Vehicle: ML 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Genuine Warranty Solutions

Hi All,

Been browsing this website for quite some time, but finally registered because I have a question. Please help me understand where this type of question should go if this is the incorrect forum.

I have an 07 ML350 with a factory warranty about to expire (Dec '10). I am looking around at the different extended-warranty options.

A MB dealer here in Phoenix, AZ quoted me $4600 for the extended warranty (3yr, up to 100,000mi) through MB.

A used-car MB dealer mentioned they recommend Genuine Warranty Solutions for $2540 (3yr, unlimited mi). On top of that they say the MB warranty is in fact a third-party company that MB puts their name on and charges a ton more.

Can someone give me their opinion on both/either the extended warranty through MB and one through Genuine Warranty Solutions. Googling for this company does not give good results, but just want to hear from those in this form that may have used them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 01:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T and others
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
A Mercedes warrany is thru Mercedes USA and is honored by any dealer in the US with no issues unless you purchase one with either a deductible, or a specific limitation. It is not witten thru any secondary company, that is why you should not trust used car people. Most secondary companies pay a commission, and if you watch the ads they come and go, and once gone good luck.
I paid $2700 plus tax on my 01 320 E during the first year of ownership for an additional 4 year 50,000 (8years 100,000) no deductible, that covered everything except glass and wear and tear.
I would shop for a genuine MB or put the money into the bank, too many horror stories, that are similar to body shops dealing with insurance companies.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Agree 100% with Peter. There is no aftermarket warranty that compares to the genuine one from Daimler. Some might be close but the CPO one I had more than paid for itself. The same can be said for the new car warranties you extend. The only downside I see to those is they get more expensive every 12 months after you purchase the car. There is a published list price on those but I've read on here that they are negotiable.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 12:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just understand that a warranty is an insurance policy and insurance companies do NOT lose money.

Chances are in their favor that you'll pay them more than they pay back to you.

So, you can easily be "self-insured," i.e. just put the money in the back and save it for the rather unlikely "rainy day."

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 02:17 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 1976 Rover Mini; 2003 Z06; 2011 smart fortwo Passion
CPO coverage question

Will be picking up an 07 E320 Bluetec next week; it's a CPO car with 100K mile coverage...but only if I can put the remainder of the 100K miles on it by December 2011 when the time portion of the coverage runs out. Is there any way to get the time extended? Thanks!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
You can extend a CPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwight View Post
Will be picking up an 07 E320 Bluetec next week; it's a CPO car with 100K mile coverage...but only if I can put the remainder of the 100K miles on it by December 2011 when the time portion of the coverage runs out. Is there any way to get the time extended? Thanks!
Absolutely. I bought mine as a CPO (5 years old w/53,000) and paid to extend the 1 year to 2 for a total of 7/100,000 since I knew there was no way I would drive 47,000 in the year that they give you. If they work the same way now, you can extend yours up to the same 7 total years since the car was frst sold/titled. But the mileage maximum is still 100,000.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 06:38 AM
BenzWorld Member

Good to hear that; thanks for the info.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 07:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwight View Post
In any event, I'd do two things:
i) I'd read carefully the service record of the car, plus I'd want to see in writing what the dealer did or will do to the car to bring it up to par.

ii) I'd carefully read the policy being sold (warranty extension) to determine the caveats for coverage and exceptions. Of course, I agree that the way to go is with a MB extension warranty.

Salespersons write everything they say in water and you'd be up the creek without verification of facts.

A car would show appreciation for preventive maintenance by never leaving his owner stranded.

Defensive Driving is never having to say you're sorry: a true love story between man and machine.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 07:39 AM
BenzWorld Member

Very true; same issues with the extended "warranty" sold by smart dealers. I'd think the M-B CPO extension would be pretty comprehensive but I'll certainly read the fine print.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in