post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 2005 silver/black SL 65 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Space Master Spare Tire - SL 65 AMG

I have been speaking with the Vredestein tire manufacturer in Holland to obtain access to the Space Master spare tire for the 2005-2011 SL 65 AMG.

The size is 175-50-19, and MBenz part number 230-400-1702.

NOTE: There is an 18 inch Space Master for the SL 55 available through dealer and parts.com.....part number 211-400-3195, but it doesn't work on 65 due to larger brakes. It is available for 55 owners if they need a spare through the dealer.

The 65 part is available in Europe for this car through Vredestein but not in the US, through their NJ headquarters warehouse. The Space Master is not sold in the US by their US branch and only can be obtained from the MB dealer according to them, which......see below....

Mercedes dealers have the part number in their parts catalogue, but it is unavailable with no units in the US....or special ordering available...

Mercedes USA will not order the item per their headquarters technical and customer service. Amazing since they still make the car for the 2011 year and the application works.

I was advised that Vredestein may make a special shipment depending on the interest.........so if any SL 65 AMG owners would like a space saver spare for an approximate price of $ 700.00, please advise.

Another option is to take firm orders to MBUSA or AMG and have them restock the part in the US and have it available through the US dealer network.

Another option is to call your local dealer and place an order for the part number and see if numbers gathered in orders alert them to supply this to the US. Explain to dealer that you would like to place an order without deposit to see if it is acknowledged without a backorder comment.

Thanks for response in advance as I continue on this odyssey to obtain a spare for my 65 for my longer trips........... Tire fit or fix a flat is a bad solution since it destroys the alloy rim and pressure monitoring system creating replacement costs for those items, plus the tire cost as they can't be salvaged even for a small puncture..............the can also has a limited shelf life in your trunk at a cost of $ 153 to replace...

Last edited by abiazis; 11-05-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
info

Found out I can get from Germany from a Mercedes dealer in Germany at 490 euro plus shipping....

You would think MBUSA would make it easier to obtain a spare tire for a high end car.....besides having parts sourced from European dealers like it was done in the 50's and 60's.

I am making progress as the price shopping is showing a low of 300 Euros to 490 for the spare. Shipping is the next comparative pricing area to assess.

MBUSA was no help at all. I have been promised a call back to see if anything can be done....apparently it is a legal issue because the car did not come with a spare and they can't go back and say one comes with it now, even though the 2007 SL 65 had one. It was the only year from 2005-2011 that has one in the trunk as new and that was the part number obtained in an effort to have a spare for my car and longer trip security.

Last edited by abiazis; 11-05-2010 at 01:06 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 11:49 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Perhaps the best place to order Merc parts from Germany is

Speed Autoteile

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for info...

I contacted Speedautoteile and am awaiting a response...thx....

It has been an interesting quest of contacts - 15 - this past week: MB world, Benzworld and AMG private lounge websites have been helpful..........I am determined to get a spare at a decent price!!

MBUSA - no help whatsoever after about 6 calls up the ladder - makes you think they want to drive me away from the brand........I can spend my money elsewhere on a 200k car...
4 Mercedes US dealers - mostly clueless with 50 % knowing about the right part number
1 Local Mercedes dealer - knew part wasn't available in US
2 German dealers - both can obtain within the week
1 tuning house - no help as expected
3 independent parts houses in Europe - 2 of 3 can assist awaiting prices for part and shipping
2 independent parts houses in USA - have spare for SL 55, but not 65 and can't obtain
Vredestein - both Holland and NJ headquarters - lovely and courteous emails and phone calls - were the first to know the correct SL 65 spare tire part number

I am confident I can get one eventually, but it takes a while to get the right part and price..........would have all been easy if the US just had the part.......a space saver spare tire at that.........

Last edited by abiazis; 11-05-2010 at 01:27 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Interesting prices Space master Spare USD $ SL 65

$ 986.000 plus shipping from Miami to NC after Germany
$ 530 plus shipping from California to NC after Belgium
$ 900 plus shipping from Germany

Still would have been easier to pick it up from dealer for $ 700.00 minus Mercedes Club discount or $ 630.00 if they still stocked the part.

Last edited by abiazis; 11-07-2010 at 02:13 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Mission Accomplished

BenzNL was great in getting me the spare tire.......on the web......highly recommended for finding parts you can't get from MBUSA.....

Current rides:

2005 Silver/black Mercedes Benz SL 65 AMG
1995 White/tan/blue top Porsche 911 Cab - 993
2011 Blizzard White/Sand Beige Prius 5

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 03:48 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2016
Hi, I'm having a Mercedes SLK200 AMG Sport Blue Eff- Year 2012.
Chasis number:- WWD1724482F036663
I'm looking for a space saver spare tire's size 145/70-17 92P due to damaged.
Could anybody help me to find this tire's..and estimated cost.

If I know where is the place maybe I can come over to pickup personally or courier it to Malaysia.

Tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in