BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 1989 300 SE & 1999 C280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1999 C280 Car Battery & Smart Key - Help!
Yesterday my smart key did not unlock my doors or allow me to turn the ignition. Naturally, I thought it was a smart key battery issue so I changed the batteries and had no luck. I have since learned that the smart key should still allow the car to start even if the batteries in the key are are bad.
I have multiple questions here:
1) If the car's battery is dead, which for whatever reason, I believe it is as the dome light does not turn on; what is the nature of how the smart key behaves? Shouldn't the smart key still at least allow me to turn the ignition or no?
2) If the battery is dead then should you still hear the "grinding" noise when you place the smart key in the ignition? Or not?
3) Is it possible by replacing the car battery my problems may be solved? Presumably it depends on answers to #2
3) Which fuse number should I check to see if that is an issue?
4) My car is parked on an incline (uphill) with the wheels turned to the left and I read where others have had an issue with the smart key in this situation?
Thanks so much for any ideas!!!