Why has Mercedes decided to move the gear shifter to the steering column - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 10:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
You should ask in model-specific section.
Around 2000 MB started using triptonic shifter, what serve the same purpose on the lever, what wheel paddles do.
I was not impressed how those things work. Had paddles on Audi and they annoyed me pretty bad, the triptonic took long time to get used to and I never had a full confidence with it.
Nothing like solid shifter pushed to 3, 2 or 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 10:23 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: W212 E500 4Matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
You should ask in model-specific section.
Around 2000 MB started using triptonic shifter, what serve the same purpose on the lever, what wheel paddles do.
I was not impressed how those things work. Had paddles on Audi and they annoyed me pretty bad, the triptonic took long time to get used to and I never had a full confidence with it.
Nothing like solid shifter pushed to 3, 2 or 1
I'll try that. I'm the opposite, gimme tiptronic style buttons all day The best I've experienced so far was on a 1998 -> Porsche 911. Perfection.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 11:13 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2015
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cool Hate the Sterring Column Shifter. Console Shifter is Best and Quality.

I completely agree. The steering column shifter on the column is ugly to me and not classy. I have an older S class and was completely disgusted when looking at the new S class when it came to the shifter. To me it is much more luxurious to have the nice leather coated shifter in your right hand in the center console than a plastic piece on the column. It may be retro to have the gear shifter in the center console, but I don't care. It is much classier and feels like you have much more control of your vehicle. I'm 29 years old (I know a bit young for these cars), but I love the S class and have a desire for genuine, luxurious, and quality vehicles. I would pay an extra $5,000 for my vehicle just to have the center console shifter rather than the modern vehicle style shifter. My suggestion to Mercedes is to stick with quality rather than the modern copy cat styles. People seeking luxury will appreciate this much more and that will continue to mark Mercedes with elegance and superiority.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 09:00 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1989 560SL; 2014 E350; 1960 190SL-sold; 1996 280C-sold
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Over the years, I've become accustomed to the shifter on the console because nearly all the cars I've owned over the past 40 years have had manual transmissions. My most recent car was a Lexus which had an automatic on the console and paddle shifters (what's up with those?).

When I first tested the E350 purchased last year, I immediately liked the idea that M-B had moved the shifter to the column as it reminded me of a 7 Series BMW I drove several years back.

I don't know the electronic or mechanical advantages/disadvantages of having it on the column, but I like it's operation and placement there.

Still don't understand the stupid paddle shifters though. If I wanted to shift, I'd go back to manual T's.

When out on the road, it's always best to watch out for Pot holes, Sink holes, and those other Holes!

Robert AKA: EEEEZY
You can't get us confused. I'm also "Nice", but NYYYCE is NEVER "Easy"!
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 09:26 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2015
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYYYCEandEEEEZY View Post
Over the years, I've become accustomed to the shifter on the console because nearly all the cars I've owned over the past 40 years have had manual transmissions. My most recent car was a Lexus which had an automatic on the console and paddle shifters (what's up with those?).

When I first tested the E350 purchased last year, I immediately liked the idea that M-B had moved the shifter to the column as it reminded me of a 7 Series BMW I drove several years back.

I don't know the electronic or mechanical advantages/disadvantages of having it on the column, but I like it's operation and placement there.

Still don't understand the stupid paddle shifters though. If I wanted to shift, I'd go back to manual T's.
One reason I don't like the column shifter is because my wife last summer (who has an 06 R500) got stuck for 2.5 hours in line at a fast food joint because she put in park and there was no manual release to get it out of park. Tow truck couldn't get in and we were about to get tire dollies set up to jack the vehicle up and manually push the vehicle out of the line. Complete nightmare. (something was wrong with solenoid)

Weeks later a cousin (who has an 10 S550) got stuck at a retail store parking lot.... exact same problem.
My mechanic has indicated that this is posing to be a more common problem lately that he has seen.

I personally don't like having to rely on the electronic parts that way for reasons as mentioned above. Just a personal preference and I just like the manual nice shift. Mercedes has always has the nice notched spots where the gear shifter fits into each gear. I miss that.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 05:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
FWIW, console shifters use the same solenoid.
Noodles likes this.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 03:59 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2007
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Pretty sure the days of mechanically actuated automatic transmissions are gone; the location of the controls is secondary to the placement of other controls --Comand, iDrive, etc.
Remember the old dashboard push buttons from Chrysler in the 1950s?

Phil

Prior MBs:
1971 250, 1983 380SEL
1986 190E2.3, 1987 300TD
1994, 2003, 2005 SL500s
2001 E320 4Matic
2011, 2012 E350 4Matics
2012 S550 4Matic
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 12:47 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2015
Vehicle: Built: June 2015 Model: C250
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We just purchased a C250 with the gear stick at the steering wheel.
With the indicator stick on the left and the gear stick on the right, our big worry is that one time we might confuse the two. (We do have a second car with the indicator on the right!) If e.g. you have to change lanes to the left at a speed of 100km and instead of using your indicator, you would push your gear lever up into reverse. Does that ruin the gear box or is a safety mechanism built into the gear box? What will happen? Did somebody have this unexpected experience?
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 03:54 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmerc2015 View Post
We just purchased a C250 with the gear stick at the steering wheel.
With the indicator stick on the left and the gear stick on the right, our big worry is that one time we might confuse the two. (We do have a second car with the indicator on the right!) If e.g. you have to change lanes to the left at a speed of 100km and instead of using your indicator, you would push your gear lever up into reverse. Does that ruin the gear box or is a safety mechanism built into the gear box? What will happen? Did somebody have this unexpected experience?
There gear lever ignores your attempt to select R or P if the car is moving (at anything but very low speed). You can see it from the gear indicator, the small triangles indicate which "movements" are allowed.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 05:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet 2003 S500 4Matic 2004 S55 2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet 2008 S 450
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
It doesn't matter where the selector is I still reach for the console every time I get into the S class. It's hard to change a 50 or 60 year old habit. I do understand they need the room for the "I button" etc but I still grab for the console shifter. When driving it used to be that I'd rest my hand on the console shifter while my wife rested her arm on the console lid. Now we both bang hands all the time trying to rest on the console storage lid. Whine whine whine - the older I get the better I whine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in