Can fuel flow away from the engine and cause hard starting? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: May 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Can fuel flow away from the engine and cause hard starting?

Hello Folks,

I am driving my beloved 1989 300E. My assigned parking place at work is perpindicular to our building. And, the area of the parking space closest to the building is elevated significantly over the opposite end of the space. When I pull into the space front first, the nose of the car is much higher than the rear. And, when I do this, I have starting problems ... banging, shaking ... symptoms as if a cylinder or two were not firing. As the revs increase, the problem disappears at about 1000-1100 rpms and eventually it diminished at idle also, but never goes away completely. However, if I back into the parking space, with the rear of the car elevated and the front lower, the car starts and runs as if it were brand new. A touch of the key is all I need and off she goes. It idles smoothly and evenly at all rpms ... until I park again with the front end even slightly raised.

Has anyone experiences anything similar? Any guesses as to where I can start to look for the cause? I will go with the consensis first ...

John Washbush
Bloomington, IN
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 09:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Check your fuel accumulator. While you're back there, swap out the filter as well.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
(Thread Starter)
Reverse fuel flow?

Gents ... Since there has been only one reply to my post, can I assume that anyone else who read it agrees with it? Is this the consensus?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Try asking on the W124 forum also.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!

Last edited by Musikmann; 10-17-2010 at 12:53 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 12:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
The nose down procedure works wonder on diesels. Those having mechanical fuel pumps take long to prime the system, while when I push my car after the system repair down on my driveway - it will usually fire up on first turn and with rough idle for a minute will keep on working.
So yes, the nose down does make big difference IF you have some problems with fuel system.
I am not familiar with OP fuel system, but sounds like proper check out is in order.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
(Thread Starter)
The plot thickens ...

Hello Everyone ...

I promised myself last week that over this past weekend I would locate a fuel pressure accumulator and get it on order. I didn't do it.

About midweek we had a change of weather that began with a day of severe rain followed by cold/chilly temps and higher humidity. Since I use this car every day, I was out in that rain. The first thing I noticed is that it started up like a new car in the rain. All day it started great and idled nice and smooth. It was enough to make a fellow smile thinking he has a miricle car that can heal itself. After the rain went away, temps of 15+ degrees lower than the preceeding week have been in effect along with higher humidity. The car has responded very well. It starts well and idles smoothly, even when in gear while sitting at a traffic light. I believe that up shifting itself is smoother also. And, to get this wonderful effect, I did absolutely nothing.

If the car had a carburator, I would begin by thinking that it was running rich in the hot, thin air and now, with lower temps and more humidity, it is leaning itself out and running better. I know nothing at all about the Bosch fuel injection in the car or how it works. I will read up on it this week.

Can it be that the two situations are somehow related? How could parking with the nose down make it leaner, or at least have the same effect, so it would run more smoothly then and now in the cold? Or, how could parking it with the nose up have the exact opposite effect of droping temps and higher humidity? Is there any connection between the result of parking nose down and the result of colder, more humid temps?

Or, as always is the possibility, do I have two different conditions existing here that need to be treated seperately?

As always, any input from you will be deeply appreciated.

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: