Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni S. View Post
You will think I'm extremely deprived but I never saw Animal House! Did they have a good one "established"??!!! Please tell me more?!
A very funny movie about a college fraternity starring John Belushi. Some of the brothers trash Flounder's Lincoln and they later convert it to a parade float.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
spare key

I found an indep that will do it for $275 that incl programming. I'll probably go with that one this week. Don't want to wait too long. Afraid something might happen to the one key I have.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 11:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T and others
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke318 View Post
I found an indep that will do it for $275 that incl programming. I'll probably go with that one this week. Don't want to wait too long. Afraid something might happen to the one key I have.
$275 is about what MB will sell one for, they quoted $225 the last time I checked with my MBCA club discount. There is no programming involved, the key comes coded from the parts depot per their data base. I am surprized that MB will sell him one when referencing their latest memo on keys.
Autokeytech does not know what he is talking about, remotes with physical keys were able to be coded, but smart keys are not codeable, they are coded once at the Parts Depot, who maintains a secure database tied to the VIN, and the dealer is required to submit a statement of positive identification from the buyer. The Chinese have been working on breaking the code, but so far only have succeeded in making copies, the processor in the car can not handle duplicate codes, and there are only 24 codes per car. The frequency of remotes in europe is different.
You must remember the remote to lock/unlock is via "radio freqency" the unlock of the ignition is via infra red and is powered by the key collar, so even if the batteries are dead the car will start, and is handled thru a dual redundent processor to retract and hold the locking bolts.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 11:41 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wanted to stop back in and let everyone know how things went down the day I decided to just show up and get my key. I could NOT get through to service at the dealership. There was a recorded message at service, I'd leave a message and for days, they never phoned me back. I had to go to Roanoke so I decided to just stop in and get my key! I drove in and went into the service dept. When I went in with the Manager of the Service Dept, I explained to him that the person that was with me has a Mercedes that he had ordered his SmartKey and they never had to do any programming to his key. He *then* explained to me that they could do the "programming" of the key but if they did not; if I just took the key; I would have to sign off on a piece of paper that I had chosen not to have them program my key. I told him No problem! I just want my key! So, I signed off on that, took my key and left. I decided to wait to use the key until I was back where my friend's car was with the 2 keys and IF it locked down my car, the trunk would be left open so he could take out the battery and reset the electronic system. Needless to say, everything worked great! The key is, other than looking like a "Cheap, cheap attempt at a Mercedes key" operational just like my original key I got with the car when I purchased it. Nothing had to be done at all to the key! *IF* it had not worked, I simply would have returned it to the dealership letting them know that obviously the key was NOT made for my car because, with my VIN, they should have had it properly programmed.

Thanks to everyone here for assisting me with this information. I did discover that this is simply an attempt to make another $59.00 off of me. I asked the Service Manager why the receptionist told me that "I COULD NOT leave the dealership without the key programmed"? He told me that she was "trained to tell everyone that". So, they train their employees to LIE to customers in order to get another $59. out of them. I thought that was sort of cheesy. I do hope that I never need a dealership again because if I do, I'll drive even further and go to another dealership in an attempt to find someone that will be honest with me. Crossroads of Roanoke, VA actually really turned me off on ANYTHING that I might possibly need a Mercedes dealership for in any manner.

I hope this information might help anyone, just as this fiasco certainly taught me something!!

Joni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in