M117 engine, trans, misc information help needed please. - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Sep 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
M117 engine, trans, misc information help needed please.

Hello all,

Sorry for no introduction, but I'm not a Mercedes owner, and I honestly don't imagine I will be around much, I just need some help clarifying a few things, if anyone who knows, and wouldn't mind taking the time to help.

Here is the deal, I used to work at a shop where we did lots of work to German automobiles, we used to have a little 70's model Mercedes convertible that I worked on for a bit...or atleast I think it was 70's, and it was such a good sounding engine, I imagine cause the old exhaust was a bit burnt out, but it sounded tough, and ran pretty good. Also the engine being all aluminum was very nice looking.

I would like to use a M117 for a transplant into a non Mercedes vehicle. I have located a 560SEL engine from a friend so far.

Also in trying to do my homework, I have came across some threads on this forum, so I thought I would register and ask here.

Im my reading, I came across this thread:

Would the 350SL manual transmission work for my 560SEL engine also, are there some years that I need to look out for? I dont happen to have the information at the moment to the year of engine I could have.

I notice some of the crank bolt patters are different in the above link, also seen Gen 1 and Gen 2 mentioned, but I don't know if that's just with the post 1986 engines, or the earlier ones are included.

Also, can the earlier injection/ignition parts from the 70's M117's be used on the later ones, such as the 560SEL engine? I really haven't decided how I'm going to provide fuel yet, but I would like to atleast know I can get a distributor that works independent from the injection, I don't want to use any of the newer electronics/computer.

One last question, I really liked the way the early engine looked, not a lot of wires and plastic. I see the later models have black camshaft/valve covers. I imagine the black can be stripped off, but once I have removed a lot of the newer components, will the engine look visually on the outside as the earlier engines did?

I would greatly appreciate any information anyone might be willing to provide, at the moment I'm just searching the net, and trying to piece together as much information as possible before I get into this.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: