Transmission Problems 2006 C230 Please help!!! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jan 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Transmission Problems 2006 C230 Please help!!!

My 2006 C230 Automatic sport sedan just recently started acting weird: Extreme loss of acceleration up hill and the steptronic (+/- shifting) did not work..When I traveled on a flat surface with no inclination my car worked fine, I then decided to put it on neutral while traveling at 65mph...when I put it back in drive it did not pick up the gears it just continued as if it was in neautral. I had to pull over and shift it into i shifted form "D" to Neutral it shifted fine, but then from neutral to "R" the car jerked...from reverse to "P" it jerked again and shifted hard. I then shifted again to Reverse, Neutral, and Drive thus the car jerked and did a hard shift with knocking noise and would not drive. I shifted to neutral again and shut the car off. When I turned it back on it shifted smooth and I drove off without any problem.

According to the MB Dealer in Bakersfield, Ca. the problem is the transmission internal speed sensor which will need a complete valve body which will cost me $2,300 at this MB Dealer. This dealership has acknowledged that many 2006-2007 C230's have had the similar transmission problems and they have repaired many. I then went to a European car center which works on mercedes and they too said that they have repaired about ten 2006-2007 C230's with the same problem within the beginning of this year. I find it very difficult to believe that there has not been a recall!!!! Every mercedes blog and forum on the internet is filled with 06-07 C230 Transmission problems dealing with the transmission internal speed sensor and the entire valve body. The error code reads a transmission internal speed sensor why do I have to replace the entire valve body? I have read other owners have had the same problem and only had to replace the transmission internal speed sensor not the entire valve body. What do I do guys? Can anyone help? How do we start a recall? I do not have the $2,300 for the repair. Any suggestions? By the way my mercedes has only 59,000 miles.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 12:39 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Sep 2010
The problem you describe with the valve body and speed sensors has just occurred to my 2006 ML350. It seems that many 2006 Mercedes have this problem, regardless of the class, as mine is an M Class and yours a C Class.
I printed off several posts from this forum about the problem and contacted customer service at my Mercedes dealership, explaining that this was a known problem and that I was not happy to spend money on a repair that was a known Mercedes fault.
After quite a bit of negotiating, Mercedes contributed towards the part and the labour was free.
I got my car back from the workshop 2 days ago and I'm not entirely happy with the repair. My car doesn't drive properly, seems to be holding the revs much too long before it changes gear. It's as though it was in a "sports" mode and I do not have that function on my car.
EWill be ringing the dealer tomorrow to arrange for them t rectify this. Interestingly, they were to return my car to me last week but rang me to say that my car was taking longer to "learn" the gear changes!!! with the new valve body. Seems it still hasn't "learnt" them but they gave the car back to me anyway. Not very good unfortunately.
Good luck with your repair.....maybe your dealer will contribute to the cost of repair if you try what I did?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 02:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Have the dealer try to work out this with MBUSA, for a consideration due to a problem occult to the customer but known to MB while the car was in warranty, without taking immediately any corrective action with their customers.

This has a catch that could come to bite you, so keep it to yourself unless they bring it up: 1. You should have complied with the maintenance program through your MB dealer or authorized shop. 2) You should show proof of transmission fluid and filter replacement at 39,000 miles, since there is no longer an ATF lasting "the life of the car".

For what is worth, if you do not use the dealer because you do not get any complementary treatment, make sure you use a transmission service shop familiar with MB G-tronic units.

A car would show appreciation for preventive maintenance by never leaving his owner stranded.

Defensive Driving is never having to say you're sorry: a true love story between man and machine.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 06:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
the internal speed sensor is part of the trans control unit, its not an actual sensor that can be removed and replaced, it made into the control unit, the control unti sits ontop of the valve body. now if you had a code for the turbine speed sensor, input or putput speed sensor then you could just replace the control unit, the internal speed sensor codes requires a new valve body. now why does every benz owner who doesnt have the money for a repair feel a recall should be done???????????? yes this is a common fault on the newer benz but its not a safety or life threatning issue, parts fail at any given time and your part happened to fail and its not a cheap fix. just like the crank sensor failures on the 112/113 engine, its a very common issuebut no recalls. complaining about the price is not going to get a recall started.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 09:06 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: 2000 C280- 2000 E320 wagon
Why do MB owners complain about the price so much. You've got to pay to play people. Get used to it. Or buy a tin box domestic pile. But thanks. It's made me a good honest living. 8 )
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: