BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Sep 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
SLK 32 AMG Supercharger Pulley

I need some advice from you guys...

I drive a SLK 32 AMG 2002 of which the supercharger pulley/clutch has broken
a little plate which forms part of the assembly. It damaged the intercooler pipe and made a nasty dent in the bonnet. Replacing the pulley/clutch from
Mercedes Benz South Africa is freaky expensive and absolutely crazy. I wont even go into what they quoted me for fitting it!!! Luckily I can do that myself.

But this is an opportunity for some modifications to take on the super cars! In stead of replacing the clutch assembly, it appears there could be a
benefit replacing the clutch with a smaller direct pulley that would
increase the boost and perhaps up the power a bit. I have seen quite a few
comments about this on the forums but nothing seems conclusive nor technical enough. I have contacted suppliers about the pulleys but but this has now carried on for at least a month without a proper reply from the one and zero reply from the other supplier! Imagine what will happen if I order the pulley from them?! The one supplier only gave me a price for a whole pulley kit, replacing all the pulleys.

My questions are:

- Why replace all the pulleys if I just want one?
- What about over boosting since the clutch is now removed? Do you need to fit 2 dump valves?
- Do you need to change the mapping on the computer or perhaps fit a piggy
back chip?
- What else would be required to improve breathing to the extent that the
smaller pulley will make any difference or can one just fit the pulley and get reasonable results?
- I see some people replace the headers too; aren't the standard AMG headers already performance based?

I have already removed all four cats a while ago and replaced the mapping
with an imported map from Germany written for our high altitude (1800 metres
above sea level).

Any advice and sharing of your experience will be highly appreciated, especially if you can direct me to a reliable supplier.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: