'84 500SEL help!! former owner botched radio install...and... - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: 1984 500 SEL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
'84 500SEL help!! former owner botched radio install...and...

Former owner installed a radio in '84 500 sel. The radio stopped working today so I pulled it out. Several wires were adrift, some not protected from shorting out etc. I found that one of them was to the antenna through trial and error, and a couple fuses. I learned that the red is hot ant the brown is ground also. The center console lights aren't working, but I found a wire that turns them on by touching it to the hot wire, but have no idea where it should go. Please, can someone help me identify the proper wires, and where they go? The Air/heat does not work, and I am wondering if they may have messed that up too by their blunder.

Maybe I could reinstall a stock radio and solve the problem?????

thanks

Last edited by shawnhoward; 09-21-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 10:11 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhoward View Post
Former owner installed a radio in '84 500 sel. The radio stopped working today so I pulled it out. Several wires were adrift, some not protected from shorting out etc. I found that one of them was to the antenna through trial and error, and a couple fuses. I learned that the red is hot ant the brown is ground also. The center console lights aren't working, but I found a wire that turns them on by touching it to the hot wire, but have no idea where it should go. Please, can someone help me identify the proper wires, and where they go? The Air/heat does not work, and I am wondering if they may have messed that up to by their blunder.

Maybe I could reinstall a stock radio and solve the problem?????

thanks
I'm interested in this as well, as a similar kind of muppet installed a new stereo at the expense of most of the electrics.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
you've been oh so helpful.... thanks
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 04:38 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
you've been oh so helpful.... thanks
What's with the sarcasm? We both have similar issues. Or is this thread only reserved for your highness?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by audihenry View Post
What's with the sarcasm? We both have similar issues. Or is this thread only reserved for your highness?
Please forgive me. The sarcasm was not meant for you at all. I just wish someone would give us some help. As a note... today I solved my radio problem, but still have two mystery wires remaining.

Blue and gray wire... connected to blue wire of aftermarket stereo= antenna goes up when radio turned on and down when radio turned off.

Red wire to stereo red wire: clock and preset memory

Red and yellow wire to stereo yellow wire: ignition hot wire

Brown wire to stereo black wire: ground

speaker wires were already hooked up and seem to work fine... I only have back speakers.

The "ignition hot wire" was dead... no current, so i lifted the fuse panel behind the firewall and noticed there was no screw on one side of the number 9 fuse. I disconnected the battery, and replaced the screw. I then had power and the stereo worked fine. (maybe the original stereo had a short and someone intentionally removed it?????)

As for my AC blower, I did find a hairline crack in the fusable link... it cracked half in two with a gentle touch. I will replace that, and tomorrow morning tear the blower motor out and see if it runs when hooked up direct. that should get me headed in the right direction i hope.

Again... please don't think i was trying to be rude to you... not meant to you at all... more directed toward the universe. I was getting very frustrated. I have been working on my patience for many years now.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 10:25 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Please forgive me. The sarcasm was not meant for you at all. I just wish someone would give us some help. As a note... today I solved my radio problem, but still have two mystery wires remaining.

Blue and gray wire... connected to blue wire of aftermarket stereo= antenna goes up when radio turned on and down when radio turned off.

Red wire to stereo red wire: clock and preset memory

Red and yellow wire to stereo yellow wire: ignition hot wire

Brown wire to stereo black wire: ground

speaker wires were already hooked up and seem to work fine... I only have back speakers.

The "ignition hot wire" was dead... no current, so i lifted the fuse panel behind the firewall and noticed there was no screw on one side of the number 9 fuse. I disconnected the battery, and replaced the screw. I then had power and the stereo worked fine. (maybe the original stereo had a short and someone intentionally removed it?????)

As for my AC blower, I did find a hairline crack in the fusable link... it cracked half in two with a gentle touch. I will replace that, and tomorrow morning tear the blower motor out and see if it runs when hooked up direct. that should get me headed in the right direction i hope.

Again... please don't think i was trying to be rude to you... not meant to you at all... more directed toward the universe. I was getting very frustrated. I have been working on my patience for many years now.
No problem Shawn, it's often difficult to convey things on the internet.

Looks like you've made some headway. I've only begun to assemble the parts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in