LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: 2005 SL500 sportline
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Help. I was backing into my parking spot, one point turn, had the wheel turned hard right and heard a pop. Managed to back in, barely. When I had a look at the wheel, the driver wheel was not straight. Had the car towed to MB delaership. Right away the service writer was trying to tell me I hit something--which I did not. Long story short.
The driver side tied rod is sheared off and the other side is bent. There could also be a problem with the steering rack, but they won't know until they replace the tie rods. I have babied this car and yes, have hit the occassional pot hole, but certainly not at warp speed as is being implied here. The warranty company won't cover it because they say it is impact related and not metal fatigue. They had an inspector come out to look at it and he said in his 20 years he has never seen anything like this. There is also no evidence anywhere of impact, but they are calling it impact.
I back into almost all my parking spots, 10-20 times per day. Would this have ANY bearing whatsoever? I'm sorry if it is a silly girl question, but I really need some help here to know how to proceed, or what questions to ask. I am told that my insurance company is going to have to cover it under the collision policy.
Can anyone offer any input? I had my last Mercedes for 17 years and went over many pot holes and never had an issue with tie rods.

Last edited by mirjana99; 09-20-2010 at 10:42 PM. Reason: additional info
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 10:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Perhaps a parking lot attendant, mechanic, or someone else that drove your car hit something, but that's still pretty much what had to have happened. Only other thing likely is massive corrosion, i.e. rust, but that should be observable. A "Dukes of Hazzard" style jump off the ground would have done it, too. (!)

Your car is called R230 by Mercedes and there's a specific forum for those cars here--perhaps someone there has similar experience.

Kent Christensen
'07 GL320CDI
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: