Central Locking System on '86 300SDL - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: 1980 300D, 1986 300SDL(new to me!)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Central Locking System on '86 300SDL

I recently purchased a 1986 300SDL. One of the only issues with the car when I purchased it is the vacuum/electric locking system. It has worked sporadically, but now not at all.

One of the local MB guru mechanics spent about 1.5 hours on it the other day and really couldn't figure it out - but thinks its a vacuum pump problem.

I took it to the other MB guy in town yesterday. He checked it out and acutually checked the pump with a pressure?? guage. It is neither sucking nor blowing! I can actually suck on the yellow line and lock the doors and blow on the line and open them - so I guess its not a problem with leaks in the lines etc.

Now (finally!!) to my question. The pump in the car ( 000 800 07 48) is no longer available - can't even find a used one with the same #. It has been changed up to a new pump (1248002148).

The new pump requires some modications to the vacuum system to get it to work. The parts required are all vacuum fittings, reducers??, plugs etc. Only about $30 worth.

Neither of the local mechanics have done one of these installations - so really wouldn't even know where to start.

Has anyone out there done one of these and can supply directions? does any one have access to MB "service updates" which would explain the process?

Any and all help would be appreciated!

Sorry for being so long winded!!
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 08:49 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum. I restored central locks in 85 model, what was lot of fun, but sounds like for your MY the system is different. We do have sub forums for specific models. Please go to appropriate section.
Your car is body W126 from what I know, so that would be the right place to ask specific question.
Good luck on the repair. I admire people who work on 25 years old car to bring it back to full operational status. I am still postponing rebuilding vacuum system on my son's 1987 model, but that should be a lesson for him as well.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: