LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: 1993 300E 2.8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

I purchased my '93 300E 2.8 a few months ago. I have owned many different kinds of vehicles, and have always done my own repair work. I should have done my homework before purchasing the vehicle, as I soon found out many surprises. I have never owned a German engineered vehicle before. I nearly purchased a '92 from another lot, but saw this one as I was going to the bank to withdraw the $4,000 the sales associate wanted for the '92. I stopped on the way back from the bank and this lot wanted $3,000, and I talked them down to $2,800. Sold. Little did I know, this car, the '93, was in decent condition body-wise, and the engine and what-not appeared to be in good working condition, the car was in serious need of a mechanic. The lot I purchased it from went out of business the following week, and by then it was too late and not really worth it to go to court or demand that they either sell me a car without serious mechanical problems, or fix the one I purchased. The car had a blown head gasket, a bad upper engine harness, a bad window control arm, a bad steering motor, a leaky windshield washer fluid reservoir, a bad O2 sensor, a bad OVP relay, a bad catalytic converter, a bad HVAC system, and possibly a bad air intake system, along with a bad fuel filter and pumps. It needed a serious tune up and an entire system fluid exchange. The suspension needs to be re-done, but none of these issues, save the suspension and window issue were apparent during my visual inspection and drive inspection before making the purchase. I was angry for having spent soo much on such a vehicle that needed soo much work, but I decided I was going to fix it. I liked the car, and I saw a lot of potential for it. Then I started doing research. I couldn't find any repair manuals for purchase in my local area, so I went online, and the prices for a manual seemed a bit high for my taste, so I found these forums. I have learned more about my Mercedes by reading these forums than I probably could ever learn from a repair manual, as I recently have purchased a DIY type of manual, for $25. I have fixed many issues, and in fact just finished rewiring my engine harness. Someone, I cant remember who, posted some helpful pics, and info on how to do it. I have yet to purchase an O2 sensor, and a new OVP relay, but thats next week, along with a new belt tensioner assembly and a head gasket. I am hoping to find a reasonably priced machine shop in my area that will do my head work. After that I plan on putting a new suspension kit in, which will lower it just a bit, and make it more aggressive and hug those corners better. I also plan on having the paint touched up, as I have found egg shell cracking around the hood area. I am also going to re-do the braking system with better rotors and calipers, as I plan on increasing the engine horsepower. I plan to get a little bit different set of wheels, but nothing crazy, as I truly want to make this a 'sleeper'. My car is two tone with a white upper and grey lower, which I intend to maintain, but improve the skirting and bumpers, well, maybe only the front bumper, as I will need to put a decent inter-cooler and radiator on, and some lower lighting. I want to get rid of the square headlights and go round. Then I want to increase the HP by turbo charging it, I hope to get another 300 HP for a total of 500 HP - 550 HP out of it. Anyone willing to pass on valuable information, and/or links feel free to send them my way. As I stated previously, even though I think I overpaid for the car, I like the car, and am quite happy to join this community of MB'ers. I am also excited that I get to work on a car once again, and have something else to do, besides work on my pc, lol. If you saw it, you would know. Will post pics of my car and PC soon, as a reply to my lil bio here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in