Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Location: Norfolk. UK
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
1. Re snow-chain switch. OK, maybe your model didn't have that.
2. W/S switch near auto gear lever. Nothing to do with your problem. This changes the 'map' of where your gears shift. In W, you start in gear 2, in S you start in gear 1. (there are other changes)
3. Re ETS error light. It is supposed to come on with Ignition sw in pos 2, (as a diagnostic check) and then go out, together with all the other fault lights when the engine starts. Does it ever stay on before you move away? The wheel speed sensors have no output while the car is static.
4. Re ETS error light coming on while driving, and your question about b) and c). Did you carefully check that ALL your tires are the correct size? We have had cases on this forum where that has caused this fault, and cruise control failure also. It is a bit tedious, but I would remove each wheel in turn, and inspect the sensor wiring looking for a wire break, and the condition of the rotor, while you are down there.
5. It's most unlikely that your control module N47/2 is toast. It manages other things ( eg, OVP relay K1) that would inflict greater troubles on you. So I would concentrate on sensors & tire sizes first.