LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2002 E320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Keyhole, you were right on the target. Benz dealer told me ETS control module is bad on this car and it would cost $1002 to replace it. Cost of the module is $825. Now I am thinking I should pay them the diagnostic charge and replace the module myself. First question, is this easy to do and what is involved. On the other hand if I can not get a good price by shopping on the internet, then I guess I should go ahead and get it done by the dealer. Thanks. I am really impressed with your knowledge and diagnosis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 06:01 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riazcriaz View Post
Keyhole, you were right on the target. Benz dealer told me ETS control module is bad on this car and it would cost $1002 to replace it. Cost of the module is $825.
Jeez.... that's a big financial jump from simply replacing your brake light switch...

I can attach some technical info about the location and function of your ESP control unit - but unfortunately my WIS does not give the information on how to remove it. It looks quite obvious, and is easy to access in the engine bay.

However, as I see it, you are over a barrel here with MB as they have advised replacement of an expensive electronic module, which they will not accept in return if you fit it - and it is not the real fault. That non-return policy for modules seems to be common. We have it also in the UK.

In your shoes, for peace of mind I guess that I would (reluctantly) let MB take it from here on. If they change the module and it does not fix the problem, you will not be out of pocket. If you did source a cheaper N47/5, would it have a warranty? Also, (although not stated in my WIS, as there is no procedure) on other module change-outs described in my WIS, there is always the requirement to hook up to the MB STAR diagnostic system before the job is completed. So probably you would have to hand it over to MB after your own work, anyway.

As you will see, it is clamped directly to the Traction control hydraulic unit (A7/5) - the item with 6 hydraulic lines attached. Maybe the N47/5 cover has to be removed first to show the bolts that are holding it to A7/5.

Let us know how it all works out
Attached Files
File Type: pdf W202 ESP.pdf (1.32 MB, 92 views)
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2002 E320
(Thread Starter)
Well, MB has to special order the ETS module because they say it is very rare for it to fail. They put it in today and the problem was fixed. Thanks again for every body. keyhole you were great and definitely a diagnostic Guru.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 01:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Well, MB has to special order the ETS module because they say it is very rare for it to fail. They put it in today and the problem was fixed. Thanks again for every body. keyhole you were great and definitely a diagnostic Guru.
You should have asked the dealer to give back the old ETS module to keep as a $800 souvenir.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 05:44 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Quote:
Well, MB has to special order the ETS module because they say it is very rare for it to fail. They put it in today and the problem was fixed.
I'm very pleased to read that your problem is now solved....

Of course it would have been more satisfactory if you had been able to do the work entirely at home and save a few bucks - but sometimes in life we have to accept the inevitable.

Sleuthing through your problem here has been an interesting exercise for me also, especially as I have most of the same parts in my CLK and I could find myself in the same boat one day!

This thread, I think, shows our forum at its best, as we struggled with the 'unknown' and eliminated other possible causes. Clearly, you could have put you car into a shop on day 1, but what would we DIY enthusiasts have learned from that?
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 02:04 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2009
Thanks for a great thread - it really helped me with my BAS/ASR light problem. I was hoping it was something obscure but inexpensive...I removed the brake switch and carefully took it apart. The bottom "NC" contact leaf had broken - a smoking gun as far as diagnosis was concerned. $32 part at the dealer and the BAS/ASR light is off and everything is working as it should. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in