post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: Mercedes SL500-32 1993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Newbie SL500 Owner

Hello, I'm the proud new owner of a 1993 Mercedes 500 SL based in the UK. I always fancied one of these and have owned other (newer) Mercedes models in the past. It's an amazing bit of kit - very solid with OK handling and brakes but with comfort and cruising in mind.

For a 17 year old car with 110k miles on the clock, it looks pretty good. It has a small oil leak which I need to investigate, very tired looking front seats which I will be getting refurbished in due course and the original hood which has a couple of minor holes and cracked rear windows (I will be tackling repairs to the roof myself as I'm not keen on forking-out £1000's on a new roof just yet. All fixable stuff I hope. The car runs like a dream other than that and I hope to run it as a useable classic for many years to come.

No doubt you will be seeing some of my posts going forward!
Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 12:22 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Hey sounds good got any pics ?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
My SL500

[IMG]c:\SL500.JPG[/IMG]

Not very good at this forum posting lark just yet - hopefully there should be a picture of my new purchase above.

Thanks

Andy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SL500.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	328617  
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 02:55 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Hey man looks pretty neat so what the future plans ?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Next step is to put my personalised registration plate on the car. Then I'll be taking the car to a local leather repair shop to get the front seats re-done. Both driver and passenger seats have tears and they look pretty grubby (I wanted a black interior but you can't have everything).
After that I'll need to sort out a minor oil leak that I seem to have. Looks like one of the rocker covers is weeping but taking a look under the hood today also highlighted what appears to be a small leak around the power steering reservoir. This is a bit of a worry as I suspect that anything difficult to get to will result in big bills if I can't sort it out myself.
Then I need to turn my attention to the soft roof. It has a few very small holes which I think that I can patch from underneath. My wife is a dressmaker so will no doubt be able to help me! The two rear side windows are also cracked and have tape keeping the water out. I was planning on buying some new 1mm plastic window sheeting, carefully removing the existing windows and cutting out new windows based on these and then carefully sewing them back into place. Won't be a quick job as I plan on doing the work by hand with the soft-top in situ! Looks like a lot of work removing the roof and then gluing it back in place properly so I'll give this a try.

I have minor bits and pieces to do on the body but nothing serious so I will focus on enjoying the car and will worry about the minor scrapes next year!

Andy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in