My first MB - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: 2005 ML270 CDI Auto W163 7 seats (Special Edition)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Smile My first MB

Just bought my first car, used of course, a 2002 MB A160 (W168) Classic, automatic.
It doesn't have an owner manual and I have no ideea what is what.
So I do have one question what do the letters mean on the automatic transmission? From what I can figure D is drive but is has - and + what are those used for? P is parking, N is neutral, W is winter and S is standard.
Is this correct?

And at the last MOT that came with the car and was done last month it has an Advisory Notice issued which says:

Front Anti-roll bar rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.3)

Parking brake Your vehicle has only just met the required park brake efficiency. It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair. (3.7.A.10)

I looked these up on the internet found a bit about what it means etc but not sure how much it would cost to repair? Should I go to MB or another service?
Atfer I finish with all the paperwork for the car v5, insurance etc was thinking of taking the car to a mechanic for a check, it has been repaired before because it's a v car cat C it looks and drives ok, it has all mot history, done hpi check everything is ok, but because I never had a car before I don't know how it's suppose to sound and if it is something that needs fixing. I don'tknow how well it's been repaired etc cause it has a v5 so that means the VIC was done, but not sure if this should give me peace of mind or not.

And also just seen last night that the lighter is stuck it doesn't budge at all, how much would it cost to get it replaced or repaired?

The car came with only one key and it's quite worn out and as I am a bit paranoid wondered would it be very expensive if I changed the locks on all doors and got new keys? Found a site, THE AUTO LOCKSMITH | Mobile Vehicle Locksmiths | Car Locksmiths , it says they do all the things relating to keys, locks etc. Anyone used them?

Sorry if my message sound silly but I am total begginer at these things.

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 07:23 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Hi - welcome to the forum. We prefer new folks to add some details with the User CP ^^ but I have realised from your post that you must be in the UK.

Please find the right forum (W168) for future questions about your car. This one is for 'general' topics only.

As you admit to knowing nothing about cars, what on earth made you buy an MB, with no spare key, and no Owner's Handbook? Keep looking for an OH for your car on eBay - they come up there occasionally. Definitely get yourself a spare key from the MB dealership (or you will live to reget it!) and it will set you back a little over £100.

Maybe a Ford Fiesta would have made life easier for you.

All the questions you have asked here can be answered, but in one post there is too much for most of us to deal with properly. Most posts here are on one specific topic and you have to do some work yourself.

I'll try to explain the first one about D+ and D- gearshifts, and the Program Selector switch.

Your auto transmission, when in D, can be forced into a lower gear by a sideways press & hold of the shift stick towards D-, or into a higher gear by press & hold towards D+. This provides a form of manual control over the auto transmission which some drivers prefer. If you have a display of the transmission at the cluster, it will then change from D to the gear number actually engaged. You can restore the transmission to auto by reversing the action previously performed. The transmission will not allow you to downshift manually if your current speed would damage the gearbox. There is a bit more to it concerning the 'shift range', but that's enough for starters.

The Program Selector switch. S = Standard, W = Comfort (C on later MB models) can be changed only when in P, N or D. It changes the 'map' that determines when the gearshifts occur, and which is continually 'adapted' by the drivers own driving style. The transmission's computer takes care of this.

Basically, in W the car will start (and reverse) in 2nd gear, which is better for winter driving, and normally gives a more comfortable ride. When in S, the transmission gives a more spirited gear shift, and is the normal position for general driving.

Last edited by keyhole; 08-24-2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: clarification
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 07:41 AM
Outstanding Contributor

I decided to add a little more- just to put your mind at rest...

Reference the MOT comments - they are required to add these notes (to cover their backsides if you have later trouble) but some can be ignored.

1) Parking Brake results from the MOT test. I would do nothing about this, as MB parking brakes are notoriously poor. It may need cable adjustment but first advise a) below.

a) How many clicks do you hear when you set it?
b) Does it seem to work?
c) Always put transmission in P when you park. That locks the transmission, and the car cannot move.

Front AR bar bush. OK for now. Relax.

PS. I note that to inspect the 'front stablizer bar' and its rubber bushings (one on each side) the underside plastic cover has to be removed. This would certainly not be done during an MOT, so either the guy was drumming up some business, or yours was never replaced after it's accident. It is not essential.

Last edited by keyhole; 08-24-2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: added info.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.
Yes I am from Uk.
Regarding your question about what made me buy an MB without a manual and spare key and not a Ford, first the price, second it's quite spacious and that's the main thing I was looking for space but not a huge car and third because it's MB.
I am sure I am not the only one who knows nothing about cars and bought a car without a manual and spare key. I am sure with time I will learn and lots of things will come up, but hopefully someone will be able to answer if I have any further questions. I am trying to learn as much as I can.

Sorry for posting in the wrong place , will try not to make the same mistake next time, I think the admin could've moved the post if it is in the wrong place.

a) First is goes for about 1 cm without any clicks and than it makes around 12-13 clicks.
b) Well it seems to work but only on the highest position. (I don't know how to answer in more "mechanical" terms, sorry)
c) It is in the P position.

Thanks again.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 11:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You can (you should) get an owners handbook from any Mercedes dealer.

Haven't looked lately, but there's likely a manual "online" at mercedes.co.uk but it will be only for current models. Lots will be the same, of course.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI

Last edited by lkchris; 08-24-2010 at 11:57 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissJJ View Post
Regarding your question about what made me buy an MB without a manual and spare key and not a Ford, first the price, second it's quite spacious and that's the main thing I was looking for space but not a huge car and third because it's MB.
Good answer.. I was only kidding about the Fiesta...

Quote:
I am sure I am not the only one who knows nothing about cars and bought a car without a manual and spare key. I am sure with time I will learn and lots of things will come up, but hopefully someone will be able to answer if I have any further questions. I am trying to learn as much as I can.
I'm sure you will - especially if you read the W168 A-Class forum regularly.

Quote:
Sorry for posting in the wrong place , will try not to make the same mistake next time, I think the admin could've moved the post if it is in the wrong place.
No, they don't do that often. It's just better to keep problems for each body style together..

Quote:

a) First is goes for about 1 cm without any clicks and than it makes around 12-13 clicks.
b) Well it seems to work but only on the highest position. (I don't know how to answer in more "mechanical" terms, sorry)
c) It is in the P position.
OK. your brake cable does need adjustment, as the WIS (MB workshop manual) advises just 3 clicks for the correct setting. It's a simple job, done from under the car, with the rear wheels raised. Should take no more than 15 - 30 mins.

With an 8 y/o MB you don't want to pay dealership workshop prices unless there is no alternative. A local decent independant garage should be able to fix you up here for a fraction of MB prices. Call in for an estimate, and decide if they look reliable guys. MB Robinsons in Norwich were charging £97/hr (or part of an hour) a few years ago.

Only a MB dealer can provide you with a new spare key for your car (for security reasons) and they will need proof of identity and to see your V5 doc. If you lose your only key, you would have to pay for new keys plus new door locks all round...

Regarding your V-car situation, cars are only written off by insurance companies if the cost of repair exceeds a proportion of the market value. In many cases the repairs can be done much cheaper than estimated, and a decent car can be restored to full health. Hopefully you have just bought one of those.

About the stuck cigarette lighter - you're not going to smoke in there, surely!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Lkchris thank you for the answer. I really need a manual, I don't think it will cost a fortune.
Keyhole thank you again for the answer.
I bought this car because everything looks brand new, I mean engine, gearbox all the cables etc under the hood are brand new, it has a few cosmetic things inside nothing major, it needs a clean up and a bit of TLC, I am the kind of person that likes to take care of the car inside and out.
I have seen a few other and they were not taken care of at all one was leaking petrol and the outside was scratched and hit all over and the engine was coughing, another had oil leaking and break fluid, I think that's what it was, all over the engine and all the lights came on and didn't turn off at all etc.
So when I saw this one it really didn't compare to the rest, fingers crossed I choose well and as I said with a bit of TLC, I think I will really enjoy driving it.
It's been written off in nov 2007 so it has been on the road since then, it has mot's etc so hopefully it has been repaired properly it has a new battery and as I said under the hood everything looks new.
The lighter I thought the sat nav connects to that, doesn't it? I don't smoke so I don't need it. I just saw today that it's rusty aswell.
With the key and the locks I have to get new ones, I don't know what they have been doing with that key cause it's well battered.

Last edited by LittleMissJJ; 08-24-2010 at 03:14 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissJJ View Post

The lighter I thought the sat nav connects to that, doesn't it?
OK, it could use it as the AUX socket.

Quote:
With the key and the locks I have to get new ones, I don't know what they have been doing with that key cause it's well battered.
Sorry, I must have mislead you. It's just the ignition key that is your problem - your door locks are surely OK.

Why don't you visit the parts desk at your nearest MB dealership and ask the guy about the condition of your key, and how much a new one is. You may only have to buy the mechanical key part, and not the remote fob too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in