Looking to purchase my FIRST Benz! HELP PLEASE! - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 09:53 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Keep in mind that the 300E and the 300SE have the same engine. I would check out the prices for parts on autohausaz as part of the process in deciding on a vehicle.

Sponsored Links
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Aug 2010
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all of the information. If anyone else has an input, feel free to give me some advice as I'm still learning.

Is there any certain year range of cars I should be looking for? I thought I read somewhere that I should buy a little bit older due to the fact that a lot of the newer models have more electrical issues that can be more expensive to repair.

I've been talking to a guy who is selling a 1993 300e with 129,000 miles on it for around 3500. Does anyone know if that is a reasonable price? I will of course try to work him down a little bit if I decide to go with it. Here is the link to the post. 1993 MERCEDES BENZ 300E LOADED ALL OPTIONS

Also does anyone have any thoughts on the E420? I found a really nice on that is fairly affordable, but once again I'm not sure if the mileage is too high for the price or if it is a reliable car. I have been doing my research on the website, but opinions always matter. Cars for Sale: 1995 Mercedes-Benz E420 Special Edition Sedan in Duluth, GA 30096: Sedan Details - 284040437 - AutoTrader.com

And don't worry, before I purchase anything I will be taking it for a PPI to a licensed MB dealer that I found off this website. (thanks!)

Sorry for the long winded post, feel free to answer any or all of the questions I have listed.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 11:36 PM
BenzWorld Veteran
Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 1991 300E
The 300E ad you link to reminds me of the ones that never worked out when I was shopping. For goodness sakes, the 300E came loaded. There were very few options, see 1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class standard equipment at Edmunds. OK the CD changer was an upgrade and maybe the wheels. What's that CD changer worth to you today? I plug my mp3 player into the Becker radio/tape with a $9 cassette adapter.

The price is toward the high end based on NADA - Mercedes-Benz MERCEDES-BENZ IV Sedan 4D 300E and Kelley Blue Book - 1993 Mercedes-Benz 300E - Private Party Pricing Report guidance. Of course this is just guidance and exceptional examples will be worth the extra dollars, but they are a good place to start. My opinion is that the current market favors the buyer strongly.

Overall, the ad gives me pause. Nonetheless, go see it. Drive it. Look at the engine closely. Check the oil, coolant and transmission fluid. Take pictures of everything, especially the engine--it's amazing what the camera will show you. Be patient. I think it's better to take your time, and maybe let a good deal go, than to jump into something that will disappoint you and eat your cash.

Before you go, read W124-Zone.com - The Buyers Guide and W124 Buyer's Guide, in the DIY sticky on the W124 forum here. Also read the descriptions of poor, fair, good and excellent condition in the KBB listing. Most sellers over estimate the condition of their car.

Consider contacting Jonathan Hodgman of Blue Ridge Mercedes/AMG East a well regarded service and performance shop in Lilburn, jhodg5ck on this forum. He is a wealth of knowledge in your area and often generous with information and insight. He comes across cars for sale occasionally also.

Good luck with your search.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 10:19 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 1995 C36 AMG
190E 2.3 or 2.6 definately (just make sure the transmission and coolant are all good). I had a 2.3 that had been rebuilt and thrashed the @#$% out of it for 20k and couldnt break it(unlike my 2001 C200 Kompresor). Amazing handling cars.

Alternatively you could go the W124 route, best move for reliability
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 08:37 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
I bought Mercedes in this price range for my son this summer, but I am experienced DIY and owned several MB before.
The 23 years old car, even it run strong had several oil leaks, messed up vacuum system and bad vacuum elements. With my skills I made it operational with no leaks with minimal cost, but doing those things in shops would take more than I paid for the car. Now I am struggling with clima system. Set of vacuum elements cost about $500 -not something you'd face in old Cutlass.
Meaning old MB are great cars for people who can deal with sophisticated repairs or....
they can be a disaster to owners with no skills to fix them.
Good luck
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 03:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
old MB are great cars for people who can deal with sophisticated repairs or....
they can be a disaster to owners with no skills to fix them.
Good luck
Hit the nail right on the head!!!!

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 10:55 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Also I'll be the first to tell you the 4.3l V8 in the E420 will eat the faint of heart alive at the gas station!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 07:39 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Sep 2010
Put some careful thought into this. Mercedes are great cars to drive when they work well. I'm quite attached to my 68 280S. Unfortunately, there's a reason why their prices plummet as they age. With high mileage they can become quite problematic. You may find a similarly priced Olds is more practical as a daily driver and it will definitely be easier and cheaper to maintain. The first time you try to fix something under the dash or have to repair the steering, you will understand why older Mercedes can be hard to sell.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: