2009 GL 320 Turbo needs to be replaced at 34,000 miles - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.xpowerseller View Post
That is what happens when you neglect your car. Nearly 20k miles between oil chances is insane! No wonder the oil turned to sludge. Dino oil cannot last that long. A good synthetic might be able to. I would advise you to sell the truck after you get it fixed. A Mercedes is not for you.
It was full synthetic oil used per their regs. The GL 320 has an interval of 9,000 miles between oil changes. I was 9,000 miles over the service interval, or 2 months past it based on my driving. Got busy and meant to do it, just didn't get around to it. Very expensive lesson. The engine is most likely shot and the car is about 1 year old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 03:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Sludge doesn't kill the engine so fast.
What is happening on turbo is that it has very small oil line going to it and gets really hot under the load. Mercedes has the turbos design pretty well, but most of other manufacturers advise to idle the engine for 3 minutes before shut down just to coll down the turbo.
Otherwise the small amount of oil gets cooked in the turbo and turns into a charcoal. That can happen even with good oil in crankcase.
I bet that since you didn't have time for oil change, you didn't observe turbo cooling procedure as well?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 04:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Sludge doesn't kill the engine so fast.
What is happening on turbo is that it has very small oil line going to it and gets really hot under the load. Mercedes has the turbos design pretty well, but most of other manufacturers advise to idle the engine for 3 minutes before shut down just to coll down the turbo.
Otherwise the small amount of oil gets cooked in the turbo and turns into a charcoal. That can happen even with good oil in crankcase.
I bet that since you didn't have time for oil change, you didn't observe turbo cooling procedure as well?

the new diesel engines on the e class, gl and ml dont use an external oil line for the turbo. the design is different. the turbo is bolted to a steel block and that block is bolted onto the engine block. the block has oil passages in it that run through the turbo. basically when the engines sludges up no oil goes through due to the ports being clogged.

now yes i am a benz tech, i have desludged 2 engines so far that had severe sludging that hadnt destroyed the engine. one was a 02 c240 that was burning oil and blowing blue smoke out the exhaust. disassembled engine and replaced piston rings, bearing and cleaned all passages and cleaned the heads and installed new seals. the other was recently a 08 cl550 that had all services done on time, only went over by 1000 miles and that was covered under warranty due to the unknown as to the cause. same issue engine was torn down to the bare block, cleaned entirely. i have seen several others one a 05 e500 that was knocking badly and then would die. ended up replacing the engine. now the engine is full of several passages that oil travels through, and if they are caked with sludge they need to be cleaned. if the vehicle still runs and no noises heard, cleaning it should not be an issue. but it depends on how much sludge the engine has. if its minor then using some external products and a few oil changes should break up the sludge. if its severe then the engine needs to be torn down and cleaned. you dont want to put another turbo in the car and have the same issue later due to oil starvation. but contact your insurance company and see if you can do this under your policy.

Last edited by Streetglower; 08-23-2010 at 04:21 AM.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 08:51 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
9000 overdue puts you close to 20,000 miles since your last oil change. Not to sound like a jerk, but that is your fault. That is way too long to wait. Despite the car being expensive, it is not indestructible. It needs oil changes. Also that is a lot of miles on a 2009. So you drive the hell out of it. Go replace the turbo from an outside shop and kiss the rest of your warranty goodbye.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 04:04 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
you dont have to kiss your warranty goodbuy. if the turbo is replaced and the engine is cleaned then your warranty still remains. now if your engine was destroyed by the sludge then mb wont cover it, but if the engine is not damaged and is cleaned you are fine. mercedes benz doesnt ever need to know about the sludge or will they know. later on down the road if you have internal engine issues and there is no evidence of sludge then your fine.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 10:47 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
2009 GL 320 This is a diesel engine write? Can't belive your turbo blew something dosn't sound write. you ever check if your oil level was low? I'd check your recipts and make sure they were using the proper oil for your diesel engine. Turbo dosn't go that easy even if you drive full throtle all the time, its a diesel engine.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 10:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kin8pin View Post
2009 GL 320 This is a diesel engine write? Can't belive your turbo blew something dosn't sound write. you ever check if your oil level was low? I'd check your recipts and make sure they were using the proper oil for your diesel engine. Turbo dosn't go that easy even if you drive full throtle all the time, its a diesel engine.
A turbocharger starved of oil will go very easily, it's not a function of throttle position. Also, either write above third-grade level or be quiet.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 10:29 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.xpowerseller View Post
That is what happens when you neglect your car.
Amen.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 10:30 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieX View Post
I went 9,000 miles over my scheduled service, not 20k miles.
For a total of 19K miles between oil changes. Nice job.

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 09:46 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyike View Post
A turbocharger starved of oil will go very easily, it's not a function of throttle position. Also, either write above third-grade level or be quiet.
What do you know about cars? P*** third grade that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in