post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: 1979 300D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I Purchased a 1979 300D W123 Car on Craigslist -

- and I'm about to get into the engine. I got the car for my girl, and she loves it. New brakes, shifts great, black leather interior, supposedly has a 60,000 mile swapped engine. Odometer reads 212,856, and seems to work. It has no rust except two 1 inch spots on the hood, next to the windshield. It was supposedly parked with a blown engine for many years, then given a new engine, straightened out, and sold to the guy i bought it from. The engine has chalk on it, but anybody can do that, right? The engine compartment is very clean, so I might believe him. I've driven it, and while it's slow to accelerate, it drives, steers, cruises, and stops no problem. It feels good to drive it.

Interior is is in great shape. Much, if not all of it has been redone at some point. The interior doors seem new, and it's all black. There is a plaque on the wood that say "Merci, Merci, Merci!" I have not seen this kind of interior on any of the other W123 cars I looked at. The interior was very important to my girlfriend. It's not cherry, but hell, what do you want for 1100 bucks.

Anyway, I'm going to paint the exterior gloss black with Rustoleum. I've done it before. It'll be great, and it'll cost 40 dollars.

I have ordered the Mann brand air, oil, and primary/secondary fuel filters, I will have them tomorrow. I will use Delo or Rotella oil, and make sure to grease the gasket when replacing the oil filter. I will use Redline brand Diesel Fuel Catalyst additive in the fuel tank. We are going to replace the valve cover gasket and have the valves adjusted by German Formula, the old school Mercedes shop here in Portland. Talked to the mechanic on the phone, he's owned three of this engine.

What else can I reasonably DIY? Her dash lights are wigging out, is that famous rheostat? Sorry, I've fully been lurking you guys for like 2 weeks with MB on the brain. . . any pointers for a noob?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 08:04 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
congrats from a craigslist buyer

nice work! I've just gotten an '86 190D I bought on craigslist. I'm not the mechanic you are, but I think I've gotten a nice car.
I used links from this forum to hook up with the "classic Mercedes" site and found a blower switch that I needed.
I am planning on a paint job, it has one rust spot where the roof meets the rear passenger side fender. lots of rock chips.
Rustoleum paint job??? do tell!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: 1979 300D
(Thread Starter)
A 1962 Ford Falcon Recieve A Budget Paint Job - Hot Rod Magazine

I've done this exact paint job on my van, and it actually works! The basic idea is that you do a ton of solid prep, and then mix Rustoleum half and half with mineral spirits, and roll it on with 4 inch high density foam rollers. Three coats, 600 grit wetsand, 3 coats, 1000 grit wetsand, then 3 coats, 1500 grit wetsand, and then hit it with polishing compound and an electric buffer. It looks better than most Maaco jobs, will probably last longer, and it'll cost about 40-50 dollars.

The real key is the thinned out paint. It looks terrible going on, but it's so thin that it levels as it dries. Not going to be a pro job, but a month from now my girls is going to be driving a shiny, black, head turning Mercedes around town, and no one will be able to tell the paint cost 40 bucks unless we tell them.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 01:29 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1998 SLK230 199,xxx Miles
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in