post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sec Air Inject Malfunction

I just got a 99 ML-320 with about 120K on the speedo. The 'check engine' light is on and I plugged a scanner in and get a P0410 trouble code (sec air inject malfunction) . I do not have a service manual for the vehicle. I am guessing that the secondary air injection is an air pump driven by a 12VDC motor. I am wondering what the electrical circuit is. I would think that the 12 VDC motor is powered thru a fuse and possibly a relay. I wonder where these devices are located. I am also wondering if the motor gets 12 VDC the whole time the ignition is on --or - is it turned on and off by the ECM . I would like to see an actual electrical schematic on the system but do not know how to easily view one. I am also wondering -- if the electric motor on the air pump is shot --what is the cheapest way to get a new one besides a junk yard?

To top things off --how do you open the hood? I move the handle on the kick panel, forward of the driver door, and the hood pops open to the first click and then I cannot find any way to raise it. I appreciate any assistance on these matters.
stoic -- Saratoga, California

Last edited by stoic; 08-07-2010 at 01:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 09:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
After you've released the hood with the interior lever, lift it just a little bit.

A plastic handle will pop out throught the grille--pull on it for final hood release and lift hood.

You'll need a professional to fix your air injection system.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 11:08 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: R129
Once you get the hood opened, that's when the fun begins. Since you've already go the code, and since you already know about cars, you'll find that these Mercedes are often easier to work on than other makes. It's a misnomer that these German vehicles need specially trained people. You own it, so don't let anyone intimidate you into taking it to a "professional," especially a stealer.

Even if you end up replacing several good parts before finding the culprit, you'll not only have spent less money than a stealer (who will probably replace good parts anyway and charge you an arm and a leg), but you'll now know more about this vehicle, so things will get easier and easier.

Beware of stealers
(and shill posters who work for stealers)
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the info. I finally found the plastic secondary hood release. It is right under the big Mercedes emblem at the top of the inverted 'V'. I am still back to my original questions on the secondary air inject system. I have been wrenching for about forty years and have a well equipped shop. I would simply like to know a little about the sec. air inject. system. Where is the pump located and how is the electricity supplied to it? Is the voltage turned on and off from the ECM or should it be continuous once the engine is on. If a relay is used to power the pump --where is it located?

If I need a new air pump --what is a good source to obtain one besides a dealer or junk yard?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 10:02 PM
BenzWorld Member

You should post here (W163 M-Class - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum) where you'll find all your benzmates with the same vehicles.

But, to answer your question, the AIR pump on your car is probably not part of the belt pulley. It's probably fed by a simple connector with 2 wires.

It's doesn't run continuously. It activates predominantly when the car is on its warm-up map.

The pump looks sort of like an alternator, but it's more plastic than metal. Check with your ML friends in the w163 section, but you'll see it. There's going to be a pipe connected near the exhaust manifold to blow air into it.

The relays are usually in black, plastic compartments in the engine compartments. But, again, check in the w163 section.

Btw, the most likely cause of the code is not the AIR pump, but the check valve. So that should save you a bundle.

Oh, and these are some of the best places to order benz parts online:

autohausaz.com
rmeuropean.com SUMMER2010 (3% off on any order) / LOYALCUSTOMER2010 (5% off on $150+ orders)

Good luck, and stay away from that dealer!

Beware of stealers
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
jsap -- Thanks very much for the info. I'm new to this forum and was not aware of the W163 M Class part of this forum. I haven't checked it out yet. I mainly work on diesel trucks and am not familiar with Mercedes at all. From your info -- I'm hoping my problem will be a 'check valve' and NOT a new air pump.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 01:23 AM
BenzWorld Member

Before you're off to ML land, one more tip. There's a website run by Mercedes that gives you parts diagrams and part numbers for your car. It's free to register, but you have to give your credit card for verification only. This probably sounds like a scam. But don't worry. It's genuinely Mercedes.

epc.startekinfo.com

Btw, if you go to "startekinfo.com" WITHOUT the "epc.", and you go to register, it'll ask you for mucho $$$. This paid access gives you much more info. But, for most things, just the free "epc.startekinfo.com" is enough.

Holler if you're having problems. It uses finicky Java, so you have to troubleshoot your setup if things don't quite work at first. But it's worth it, because it shows you the same parts diagrams that your local stealer parts desk uses.

Once you have the part numbers, you then enter the p/n into the autohausaz or rmeuropean site and find the part. But, the mercedes part number begins with a letter like A000000000 or W000000000. Just REMOVE the "A" or "W" and enter ONLY the numbers into the online parts sites.

Just for fun, I often call my local dealer to see how much they charge for the same thing. Prices usually go between 2x to 5x, but once it was 10x. Ouch! I'm sending somebody else's kids to college!

Good luck!

Beware of stealers

Last edited by jsap; 08-08-2010 at 01:27 AM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
'jsap' -- Thanks very much for the info. I'm 60 years old and have been wrenching all my life but NEVER on a Benz before. I'm becoming familiar with the secondary air system on Benzes. It doesn't appear all that involved, once I find where the different components are located. The Mercedes site that you informed me about will be very helpful and save me from buying a manual. My nephew has a repair shop account with a Mercedes dealer here in San Jose but even then I bet the sites you mentioned will beat the Mercedes price.

Last edited by stoic; 08-09-2010 at 12:23 AM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoic View Post
'jsap' -- Thanks very much for the info. I'm 60 years old and have been wrenching all my life but NEVER on a Benz before. I'm becoming familiar with the secondary air system on Benzes. It doesn't appear all that involved, once I find where the different components are located. The Mercedes site that you informed me about will be very helpful and save me from buying a manual.
The most common answer to this is the switch over valve to the left of the electric pump and the pump is front and top center of the engine.

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 11:50 PM
BenzWorld Member

The epc site will only give you a parts diagram. Actual procedural info can be gotten from alldatadiy.com, or you can buy a Mercedes WIS DVD, which would probably contain much more info. I don't have one yet, but I've read people buying from places like this:

2000 Mercedes Benz ML320 Repair Manual on CDROM For Sale

This is for 2000, but the seller says they'll make one for your model and year if you ask....

Beware of stealers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in