Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Mercedes-Benz as a first car.

603 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Musikmann 
#1 ·
Hi there, I was just wondering if a 1987 Mercedes 300E is a good choice as a first car. I'm by no means wealthy, I am just a simple college student but I consider myself an aggressive saver and know how to manage my budget. I've heard so many good thing about this car specifically this model and the Diesel one, such as its reliability, smoothness on the road, and overall sturdiness. This car is well-known for its capability of reaching a tremendous high-mileage from what I have read so far, and that really interests me. I just want to know if I'm going to be able to afford this car in the long run, because it sells pretty cheap from what I have seen, but I'm concerned about maintenance costs and service costs.

Thanks in advanced.

#5 ·
Exactly! The M103 engine is very good but parts are not cheap. Check out autohausaz for prices of parts. Do you have tools? There is plenty of DIY info and people on this board to help you. Do you have records for the car you are looking at? Most of these engines need timing chains and their top ends done by 200K assuming oil changes etc have been done on a regular basis. Personally thinking back to my college years, this type of car would not have been for me. Then again the car you are looking at would be an almost new car when I was in college:)

#4 ·
I just bought 87 E300DT for my 17 years old son. Just teach him today how to replace the brake pads. I did the pads -he did all the car lifting and wheels cleaning. :D
Nothing wrong with starting with good brand, but 23 years old car will require some work. What is your background in mechanics?
BTW welcome to the forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.