Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Advice needed for older Benz purchase, help!

553 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Kajtek1 
#1 ·
This must be a topic covered repeatedly, but . .

I want to buy a diesel M-B wagon pre-1990 for monthly 1,000 mile trips out of hilly land onto flat lands.

I thought a 1987 300tdt would be the ticket, but it seem impossible to find a tow hitch for one.

I am open to go for pre-1987 wagons, but a tow hitch is needed. Dependability a must. I am hoping to stay under $10k, but can be easily tempted to go above this if the situation right.

Parcoblatta

#3 ·
86-87 models have weaker engine heads. I used W123 for towing and with steel bumper all I had to do was drill a hole and attach flat bar for the ball. Those flat bars were quite common in the times when cars had steel bumpers and can easily be found on junk yard.
You are not saying the location, but in US 10 grands can buy you quite nice 1998-2001 wagon, what is way more sophisticated vehicle and gasoline engine in those sips less fuel, than diesel hogs from 80's. Hitches for those are easily available and we already have pictorials for installation in W210 section.
Good luck on your search and welcome to the forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.